POLL : What is your workflow?

Posted by Jude Cotter 
POLL : What is your workflow?
February 28, 2008 07:21PM
What is your usual workflow? Again, only one answer per person is possible, so you will have to make a judgement call about which one is the most common path you use.

The poll will run for 14 days.
Re: POLL : What is your workflow?
March 05, 2008 01:56PM
Been editing DVCPRO HD full res for 3 years and outputting to HDCAM with the Kona 3. Before that, all DV and always full resolution.

Recently I did work with an offline resolution, but that was so I could work on my laptop on the road. I still captured at full resolution and edited at full resoution on my main system.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 06, 2008 11:09AM
I used to do offline/online in Avid, but with Final Cut I've always worked in full res. Currently working on an HD project captured ProResHQ with a CalDigit HD Pro tower.
March 07, 2008 04:05PM
Uncompressed SD & DVCPRO HD full rez editing / compositing - outputting to DigiBeta via Kona LHe. Even when I was Avid Editing 5 years ago, I didn't use anything but full rez. I just prefer to see everything at the best possible quality all the time (and so does my clients).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 10, 2008 12:05AM
Even though I voted for option #1 (off-line to on-line) the truth is I find that our workflow is changing. Because we post "Reality TV" with astronomical shooting ratios, Off-line RT is the only practical solution. One season of one show can generate almost three THOUSAND hours of media. And, we've usually got three to six shows going simultaneously.

Having said all that, I am making a concerted effort to eliminate off-line and go "Full Rez" all the time. Staying at FULL REZ is a tremendous timesaver.

If you take away the storage cost issues and the bandwidth technical issues then the advantage of being full rez all the way through is the only way to go.

Mark Raudonis
March 10, 2008 09:14PM

Staying at FULL REZ is a tremendous timesaver.

AAAAAaaaaaaaaaa-men, brother. I'm also editing in DVCPRO-HD full rez these days - laying off letterboxd downconverts to DigiBeta via Kona LHE. I won't be working in SD for much longer. My new employer is DVCPRO-HD / UNCOMPRESSED HD all the time smiling smiley

March 12, 2008 10:38PM
I voted "Work at full resolution from capture to export in FCP."

I still commonly work in DV25 -> DV25, DV50 -> DV50, DVCPro 720 -> DVCPro 720, or SD 10-bit -> SD 10-bit. However, at least 35% of my work is DV25 -> SD 10-bit, DV25 -> 8-bit HD, or DVCPro 720 -> 10-bit HD. Never had to work with HDV thankfully.

I still haven't worked with Pro Res but I'm looking forward to it.

- Justin Barham -
March 13, 2008 11:46AM
For the last two years the series I'm on now has done an offline DV to uncompressed online workflow. This year we're doing ProRes from start to finish. We're starting a documentary that will still be offline to online, so we're kind of in the middle. Would like to stay at one resolution though.
Sam
March 17, 2008 12:26AM
Wow. A landslide. At poll close, 87% of respondents mostly work at full res from start to finish, 8% offline in FCP and then online in FCP at a higher res, and 5% offline low res in FCP and then online at a higher res in another edit program.

Thanks for playing. smiling smiley
March 18, 2008 09:26AM
I work mostly with file transfer. I clip in IMX D10 50megs with an EVS, wrap in QT and transfer to my box on our network (network isn't fast enough to edit over.) Edit and output to h264 QT 'cause I'm headed to the internet not the big screen (or the slightly smaller tv screen.) This puts me in the full rez from start to finish (near finish anyway, haha) camp.

We've been told by our EVS rep that they will soon support ProRes so we may switch to that. I am the only FCP station in our production house right now so there are no other workflows to speak of.
March 18, 2008 03:22PM
Don't these polls last 2 weeks? It's still here! Maybe after the poll expires it should be taken off "sticky" status so it falls away with the older posts. Just as suggestion.

Anonymous User
March 18, 2008 03:30PM
Well its supposed to expire after 14 days. Might be a bug in the software. I'm leaving it up until Jude sees the results and then she can take it down.
March 18, 2008 08:00PM
Oops. That was me up there posting from my partner Sam's computer. Didn't realise the name was wrong.

Yeah, why is this still open? I'll release it from sticky now, though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics