Hooking up a deck and a Client monitor??

Posted by xavpil 
Hooking up a deck and a Client monitor??
March 06, 2008 02:39AM
What do you need to be able to hook up a client monitor and a deck on a Powermac G4 and a G5?
Re: Hooking up a deck and a Client monitor??
March 06, 2008 02:47AM
Depends on the deck but most likely the deck has Firewire so plug the deck into the computer via that and the monitor into the deck via S-video.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 06, 2008 03:01AM
2 more things:
. No deck, no monitor? Or can I still have a monitor w/o a deck
. If I understand correctly you can digitize Digibeta tapes through firewire?
March 06, 2008 09:23AM
You need something to convert the signal coming out of the firewire port on the computer to an input the monitor can take. There aren't any firewire monitors.

So you need one of three things, a deck, a camcorder that can pass a signal through, or a digital to analog converter like the Canopus ADVC line. Sony also makes one. I have one made by Formac.

You can digitize DigiBeta via firewire only if the deck you are using has a firewire output, like Sony's J-30.

Hope this helps,

deb
March 06, 2008 09:41AM
debe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Thanks a lot, Deb.
A few more thing:

you wrote:
> You can digitize DigiBeta via firewire only if the
> deck you are using has a firewire output,

Older decks don't have firewire, obviously. So I need to use a composite or a component or a SDI signal.
My question is: Of course I don't have these hook ups on my computer. So how do i go around? Is it time now to talk about these Kona cards and BlackMagic?...
I say this because I've had some difficulty to really understand what a set up can be in a semi professional environment. Where I work everything's hooked up and connected through an impressive wiring system.

Thanks!
March 06, 2008 10:21AM
If you can't get your hands on a J-30 (look around, they might be pretty cheap to rent), and/or you want/need to capture at better than DV quality, then yes, you will need to look at an I/O card for your computer.

There's no good way to convert an analog or SDI signal from a DigiBeta deck into something that can get into the computer via firewire. AJA or Blackmagic would then be the answer.

debe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics