Frame Accurate Tape (DVCPRO HD)

Posted by JoeE 
Frame Accurate Tape (DVCPRO HD)
March 13, 2008 10:25AM
What equipment would I need to create a frame accurate (like avid can do) output of a show that originates on DVCPRO HD? I want to cut the show HD, then deliver an edited master DVCPRO HD tape to the facility for vfx and color timing, saving an online. In the past (DVCAM shows,) I have never been able to get FCS to make a tape that was able to hit the 1:00:00:00 mark for the start and be accurate all the way through. Has this changed?
Re: Frame Accurate Tape (DVCPRO HD)
March 13, 2008 11:07AM
Kona LHe is my weapon of choice.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 13, 2008 11:28AM
WOW! Thanks. That answers all my needs! I now need to just decide about storage. If I cut HD, am I better of just raiding a bunch of internal drives or is it better to have an external sata raid? I'm cutting a cable series, so I can't have any lag....
March 13, 2008 11:36AM
For DVCproHD its not a big deal - but at least a RAID 0 of two or more SATA II HDDs is recommended by most of us via internal, eSATA or FW800 for DVCproHD work.

You will need to tot up how much storage you will need based on approximately 42GB per hour of DVCproHD

Remember to include a 20% storage overhead for keeping the HDDs working well and at speed plus additional render space so look at a minimum of 30-40% extra storage after your source footage calculations.

I'm looking at the solutions from Caldigit as you read this: [www.caldigit.com]

Call Jon and discuss your requirements I'm sure he'll be happy to talk you through the options.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
March 13, 2008 11:52AM
JoeE.

We're here to help, you know how to contact us.

Jon
March 13, 2008 09:01PM
Thanks. You'll hear from me!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics