Interesting Audio Plug

Posted by Sprocketz 
Interesting Audio Plug
March 19, 2008 10:31PM
I don't use Soundtrack Pro, I have a Pro Tools setup. But I thought some here might be interested in a pretty amazing new plugin for music production. I assume Soundtrack Pro will take at least one of the sound plugin formats this can work in. It can be used as VST, AU or RTAS. It operates on pre-recorded sound (not midi) such as loops, samples or recorded performances.

Not available till fall.

Product is called "Direct Note Access"

Go see the demo here:
[www.celemony.com]

I won't spoil it by telling you what it does.

Ran across this on Gizmag of all places.
Re: Interesting Audio Plug
March 19, 2008 11:13PM
awesome
March 20, 2008 12:45AM
Wow. Tech is going so far, so fast, these days. That's cool - even I could play something decent with that, and I'm pretty useless on guitar.

March 20, 2008 12:54AM
Wow. I'm impressed. I can't wait to hear Hendrix play Nirvana, or something random like that. The possibilities are frighteningly endless.
March 20, 2008 09:16AM
The modified notes still sound a bit stiff, but hey, promising...and ironically maybe this might work better on dialogue (homing in on noises) than music? I know it'll probably be faster for a composer to play an am rather than try to change a G into an am without it sounding artificial. Also, modelling technology (eg. Line 6 Variax, Gibson Robot Les Paul) can analyze individual string signals and make a guitar work a bit like a MIDI keyboard -- could have more musical results.

This is still going to work better with keyboard-type instruments, where a note is just a perfect note, than with string instruments, where the phrasing is everything.

Gotta hand it to them with the video -- excellent presentation, looks like something a 12-year-old can understand.

www.derekmok.com
EMC
March 20, 2008 12:26PM
Yes all the pro audio forums are buzzing over this (Direct Note Access) but from an audio post perspective I'd love to see Celemony incorporate something like Vocalign's automatic dialog sync. capability for matching ADR to the original production dialog. Right now there's no equivalent plugin in AU format that works in Logic/STP, which is why I is still use Pro Tools.
March 20, 2008 08:49PM
Do you really think the notes sound wooden, Derek? I thought they were really natural.

I wonder if it's like SFX - twenty (?) years ago we believed a man could fly. Today we look at that and it's cheesy greenscreen.

March 20, 2008 08:56PM
> Do you really think the notes sound wooden, Derek? I thought they were really natural.

Good question. I'd love to hear a piece of music that's been processed like that, but without the accompanying video or knowledge that it's been processed...see if we hear anything weird.

www.derekmok.com
March 28, 2008 12:41AM
Being a post guy I'm obviously interested in the implications Derek referred to. But not just removing unwanted sounds. Splitting single-channel overlapping dialog is an obvious use. Splitting out everything in a track - dialog. music, FX, for example. Really depends on what's going on under the hood. It looks like magic, but I wonder if what Derek was hearing as "wooden" was some anomaly caused by whatever re-synthesis/sampling/additive/subtractive synthesis might be really going on, in which case it wouldn't work well for my application above. Anyway, awesome technology.

Reid C
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics