Pro Tools LE and FCP on one or two machines

Posted by Stephen_Pritchard 
Pro Tools LE and FCP on one or two machines
March 25, 2008 09:54AM
Hi

I currently have a two-machine set up: FCP 5.1 on a Mac Pro (2 dual core 2.6ghz/4GB ram) and Pro Tools LE (7.1) on a dual-processor G5 tower. Both are running 10.4.11.

For reasons of economy and space I would like to move Pro Tools on to the Intel machine. Are there any good reasons not to do this? I accept that I won't be able to run Leopard with PTLE but would like to run FCP6/Studio 2 in the near future.

I use Pro Tools mostly to tidy up audio but also for standalone podcast work (for which Soundtrack doesn't seem all that intuitive.

Any suggestions welcome

Stephen Pritchard
Re: Pro Tools LE and FCP on one or two machines
March 25, 2008 01:49PM
Stephen, I don't have an intel mac yet so I can't speak to that. But I do have Pro Tools LE 7.3 and FCS2 running on a dual proc G5. I have been running various releases of FC and Pro Tools LE for the last 3 years on the same machine with no problems whatsoever. Don't see why this wouldn't continue to be the case on an intel machine but you never know.
March 26, 2008 08:04AM
thanks
I have had issues with the G5 before (probably too many firewire devices). But PTLE doesn't support RAID drives of any sort, I've now found out, so unless I want to put a separate audio drive in the MacPro it won't work (one reason for moving PTLE to the Mac Pro was to avoid time delays copying audio).
Does anyone know a way round the RAID issue?
March 26, 2008 10:52AM
I have a Firewire 800 card in an expansion slot and a G-Raid for my audio work. Since the G-Raid is a hardware raid the computer sees it as one drive and Pro Tools works fine with it. The G-Raid gets plugged into the expansion card and my Digi003 (was the 002) goes into the front FW400 plug. That makes it easy to switch it for the AJA Io when needed. I usually have two G-Raids attached to the FW800 card and have never had any firewire bus conflict issues.
March 26, 2008 11:44AM
thanks, that is an excellent suggestion
does anyone out there have a recommendation for a PCI-e FW card (for a Mac Pro)?
March 26, 2008 12:13PM
Just a note on the G-Raid. Although I highly recommend the G-Raid products, there are certainly several other options for hardware raids who's raid structure is invisible to the computers operating system. With a new MacPro I might look for a hardware raid with an esata interface instead of firewire for increased speed. Especially if your audio projects have a lot of tracks. That said, I like FW because it's very easy to move the drive from computer to computer. I have an extensive sound effects library on that drive and FW makes it very portable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics