re licensing FCP after Leo erase/install

Posted by healdsburger 
re licensing FCP after Leo erase/install
March 27, 2008 02:56PM
I performed an erase/install of Leopard last night and then transfered over my old settings, accts, apps and everything else from my old sytem that I had stored on an external drive. I left for work today, before logging into FCP and now i am greated by a window that wants me to re-enter my serial # and acct. info. Is there anyway to find this on my old system (stored on my G-drive) without driving an hour back to my apartment? I think I'm @#$%& out of luck, but I'm hoping somehow I can do something.
Re: re licensing FCP after Leo erase/install
March 27, 2008 03:04PM
First off, never transfer applications...always reinstall. Transfers might miss small things and the applicaiton won't work properly...thus what is happening to you.

The SYSTEM ID is what you are looking for, and that is on the old drive...in the main drive, Library>application support>ProApps>Final Cut Studio SYSTEM ID.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 27, 2008 03:31PM
Hey Shane,

Thanks. I went to my System ID and opened it, but I am not sure which is the serial#. On the 8th line from the top their is a long "number" with a lot of upper and lower-case letters, digits and forward slashes. I thought this was it but when I tried it (using copy/paste) FCP says it is the wrong Serial#. I tried putting in dashes instead of the forward slashes, but still got no love. Am I doing something wrong or is this even the serial #?
March 27, 2008 03:37PM
don't open it...transfer it to your new system drive. Put it in the same spot.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 27, 2008 07:36PM
Duh...

Thanks, Shane. You saved me a huge headache and a pain in my gas hole (driving home).

Tonight I'm going to take your suggestion to re-install all my apps. Can I just uninstall the ones I transferred and then reinstall from the disks or should I do another erase/reinstall of the whole system?

Thanks x10
March 27, 2008 07:50PM
...wipe it.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 27, 2008 08:05PM
Thanks Joe,

I imagine by "wipe it" you mean do another erase/reinstall of the whole system. Will do. This will be my fourth time doing it. I started out with an upgrade (buggy), then an archive/install (still buggy), then the erase/install/transfer (slightly less buggy), so hopefully the fourth time will be the charm.
March 27, 2008 08:37PM
Yep...full erase/reformat. I disagree with anyone that touts migration / transfer of old settings. They will come back to bite you eventually. New machine + new software = new settings.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics