Hardware suggestions please!

Posted by Radomir 
Hardware suggestions please!
March 29, 2008 10:52PM
I have G5 2.5 Ghz duo, with 4 GB of memory, Nvidia card (6800 Ultra 256 Mb), working right now with FCP and all others (Motion, Sound Track Pro, Live Type). I bought Final Cut Studio 2 upgrade and I am not quite sure how is going to behave on my system, Also, I did not upgrade to Leopard, I am still with Tiger.. I think that one more Nvidia card will help me ( to add 256 Mb more). My work flow is connected mostly for documentaries and weddings, for now just in SD, but I have plan to start with HDV and Blue Ray as soon as it is available on Mac. Regards, Rad
Re: Hardware suggestions please!
March 30, 2008 02:02AM
The machine you have as is will work fine. No need for another graphicds card, the only thing it will allow is to connect more than two monitors. And stick with Tiger...more stable than Leopard.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 30, 2008 12:08PM
Thanks Shane, I tought I will get better performance (rendering) with two cards.
March 30, 2008 01:45PM
nope. It won't help.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 30, 2008 05:43PM
no. two 256 meg cards dont give you 512 megs. it just gives you two 256 meg cards. absolutely zero benefit unless as shane says you just want to run more than 2 monitors.

also, as far as ive always understood. ram from a video card has nothing to do with fcp rendering. its more for screen redraw performance and 3d rendering apps.

as just a point of comfort to you im running fcp 6 and editing dvcproHD on my OLD 1.0 ghz G4 powerbook and it runs quite acceptably. your machine should be more than fine. you might want to pull out your 256 meg video card and replace it with a 512 IF you plan to do much with "color"
March 30, 2008 06:31PM
Thanks Wayne, I was "dragged" to this idea by Apple selling configurations with two or 4 ATI cards for new MAC Pro-s, but what is a best way to boost rendering capacity of machine?
Regards, Rad
March 30, 2008 07:41PM
Rendering = Processors.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 30, 2008 08:47PM
yep, joey nailed it. processor number and speed is pretty much ALL thats going to effect render performance. ram and hard drive speed have SOME to do with it, but not to a huge degree.

wanna render faster? get more or faster processors. and last i heard FCP is not as of yet render-farm capable.
March 30, 2008 10:45PM
Thank you all, I have much better picture now, Regards, Rad
March 31, 2008 02:10AM
Shane Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The machine you have as is will work fine. No
> need for another graphics card, the only thing it
> will allow is to connect more than two monitors.
> And stick with Tiger...more stable than Leopard.

Hi,

A better graphics card (Not an additional card) will help with Color Renders.

Also:
[forums.creativecow.net]

When I moved to Leopard. Rendering sped up 30-50% depending on format....
...Again, Leopard and Color make good friends!

Best Wishes!

Mitch
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics