Anamorphic to 4:3

Posted by adelena 
Anamorphic to 4:3
April 05, 2008 12:30PM
So, I've got an anamorphic timeline with some 4:3 footage in it. FCP automatically centers it and my Quicktime layoff file is great. Plays 16:9 anamorphic with the 4:3 footage right where it should be. My boss comes to me and says that one of our clients needs just a straight 4:3 version. I'm thinking cool, I'll create a new 4:3 timeline and just copy and paste all of my edits into it, voila! Not so fast. The new timeline squeezes everything (even the black pillars) into the new 4:3 frame so that it's all thin and tall??! I know there's got to be an easy workaround. What I did was resize one piece of the footage and paste the attributes into the others. Seems to have worked fine but what am I missing? My original footage was captured 4:3 and the anamorphic tick box was never ticked? What gives?
Re: Anamorphic to 4:3
April 05, 2008 12:35PM
The 4:3 material was placed in a an anamorphic sequence. That made it anamorphic. It's aspect ratio was adjusted to the aspect ratio of the anamorphic sequence.
April 05, 2008 12:55PM
> I'm thinking cool, I'll create a new 4:3 timeline and just copy and paste all of my edits into it,
> voila!
> My original footage was captured 4:3 and the anamorphic tick box was never ticked?

You'll need to remove the Distort and possibly Motion settings that were applied to make your 4:3 footage fit into that anamorphic 16:9 sequence. Those are retained when you copy/paste clips between timelines -- which would make sense; FCP would not arbitrarily remove your Motion, Filter settings etc. on a clip because it would assume you would want to keep those as part of the paste operation.

Select those clips and press OPTION-APPLE-V (Remove Attributes) and check Distort and Motion. This is contingent upon your clips not having other Motion and Distort settings that are intentional editing decisions.

www.derekmok.com
April 05, 2008 01:30PM
Once you get the image to play correctly, as suggested above, you then need to output it onto tape.

With 16 X 9 footage going to a 4 x3 frame you have three choices:

Center punch.

Letter box.

Pan and scan.

You've got to decide how to approach it.

Mark
April 06, 2008 11:35AM
16:9 going to 4:3 without letterboxing/padding means that you need to insert a 133% enlargement. Not so cool. Letterboxing would be your best option (unless the footage was shot on HD and the output is SD, then you can zoom in a cool 200% without the image going soft.
April 07, 2008 09:35AM
Derek's suggestion was right on, thank you sensei. Removing the attributes was what I needed to do. I should've thought of that.

The footage is 4:3 SD but was first edited into a 16:9 anamorphic timeline. I was trying to avoid having to re-create the edits for another format to output.

Thank you all for the teach,
Andre
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics