OT: FastChannel Distribution - Where does the ISCIS # come from?

Posted by clay 
OT: FastChannel Distribution - Where does the ISCIS # come from?
April 16, 2008 10:12AM
Maybe a stupid question, but I don't know the answer and can't find it searching at various places...

We're a small prod/post house, and we'd like to start submitting spots digitally via fastchannel. I've spoken with a FC rep, and it looks like we'll be heading that direction using their DropBox.

One question I have (probably first of many) is who/what generates the ISCIS # for each spot? Is it a number that I arbitrarily generate or is that something that is generated when I place an order for a spot?

If you know the answer to that question or have any general pointers (post-wise or fastchannel wise, or how to make the process as smooth as possible) as we jump into this new thing for us, feel free to share. We do edit in FCP, so I guess this post isn't 100% off-topic!

Thanks!
Re: OT: FastChannel Distribution - Where does the ISCIS # come from?
April 16, 2008 02:12PM
ISCI
Industry Standard Commercial Identifier
[en.wikipedia.org]

These days I'm finding "them" regarding what's acceptable. The main thing is it should be easy to track the specific spot with having to explain it's "Joe's shady auto dealer" spot.

For example. I do a spot for a Tennis School and I might call it
TENN0001
so if I do a revised or alternate version it would be
TENN0001

Or you can use the last four digits for the date (but if you do two in one day . . .)
TENN0416

But I'd bet you'd be able to get away with
TEN0416A (first 3 letters, then 4 numbers, then letter to allow for multiple spots in the same day).
April 16, 2008 02:24PM
So...it's a alpha-numeric thing that I come up with, 8 digits long. Correct?
April 16, 2008 10:00PM
That's it in a nutshell. 4 letters followed by 4 numbers of your own invention rhyme and reason. Not much of a standard as standards go. Imagine that somewhere someone might be using to the exact same combo to deliver a spot to the same market.
April 17, 2008 08:16PM

For example. I do a spot for a Tennis School and I might call it
TENN0001
so if I do a revised or alternate version it would be
TENN0001

Dude...that's the same number. Revised / alternate spots do not have the same ISCI code. Things must be pretty confusing over at your shop winking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 17, 2008 08:35PM
Ah so now you see the danger of ISCI codes in the hands of humans. That 2nd one should have ended in 2.

If memory serves me (and it often doesn't) I'd been using 7 letters followed by a single digit. DGFastchannel accepts between 3 and 15 characters and any combination of letters and numbers. They don't limit to 8 nor to 4 letters followed by 4 numbers. Using more letters is easier for me. I can speak and write volumes but that counting to 10 or even 9 can be a real challenge for me.

Call from TV Traffic dept.
TV "I've got two spots here. Didn't you give us TENN0001 already?"
ME "I want the new one to replace the old one"
TV "So why didn't you give it a different ISCI?"
ME "Well then it wouldn't be replacing it and you'd have two different spots. I want the first one to away"
TV "click"
May 28, 2008 12:19PM
Let me start by saying that I am not an Ad Agency. I am a small potatoes one man "production company" in Idaho that makes extreme sports movies. I am probably out of my league with this but...

I have just completed a 30 second spot for a client that will air on the Speed Channel. It needs to have and ISCI #. I did some googling and found that supposedly the American Association of Advertising Agencies are supposed to be in charge of giving out ISCI #'s. More research showed that the ISCI is becoming obsolete and that commercials should start using ad-ID codes. From what I can tell an ad agency is supposed to pay $1500 to buy a prefix and will get like 5 codes or something.

I would much rather follow Craig's school of thought and just make up my own ISCI number and be done with it. My question is, if I do make up my own number, will this create any problems for my client when the spot is submitted to the Speed Channel.
May 28, 2008 01:02PM
In theory, if another spot were submitted with the exact same ISCI number it could be a problem. I've used my own creations and I'm in a big market (increasing the chance of duplicating someone else's ISCI) and haven't had a problem. I'm also a little spud in a very big potato patch. Use 15 digits (which DG says they accept) and you should be safe. It's kinda like the odds of two or more people submitting the same winning lottery number. Name it using some fairly unique aspect (company name, client's company name, etc).
May 28, 2008 01:19PM
Thanks Craig!
Man I love this website!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics