Graeme Nattress' conversion software HD to PAL

Posted by harry323 
Graeme Nattress' conversion software HD to PAL
April 17, 2008 06:26PM
I asked Graeme if he thought that his HD to PAL conversion software would pass QC and he replied that he didn't really know.

Does anyone else have experience with QC using Graeme's software? Particularly the HD to PAL option.

Thanks.

Harry
Re: Graeme Nattress' conversion software HD to PAL
April 17, 2008 06:34PM
Yep I've had Sky and BBC both pass with no issues.

You will need to do the usual checks on the SD version and make sure its legal and all the technical specs are followed to the letter.

If it fails it would be more likely on something other than Gs filter...

BBC Delivery Guidelines: [www.bbc.co.uk]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 17, 2008 06:38PM
OK. Thanks very much for then prompt reply.

Harry
April 18, 2008 01:28PM
Thanks for the info!

Graeme
April 25, 2008 06:29AM
AIUI the BBC (and C4) don't allow up and down conversions from VTRs or NLEs - I think they want us to use Terranex or Snell boxes or similar.

I assume this is because they have done extensive comparison tests (although maybe not with Graeme's filters).

However when you deliver a show they have no idea how you created it, or what the originals looked like, so as long as whatever you use doesn't introduce artifacts they find offensive you're usually OK.

Mind you they also say...

<<Video processing (e.g. effects devices) must not ... cause perceptible timing shifts on entry or exit from the effect. >>

Yet every end credit sequence jumps in this way on transmission as they promote their other shows. C'est la beeb.

The only way you know this is a spoof is that they weren't allowed to put the shift in!

April 25, 2008 07:33AM
The bottom line is the quality rating fail - certainly up-converted footage will be contentious however I have worked on and delivered many shows that have had consumer DV content which rates lower on the quality scale than even HDV down-converted to SD.

But to date I've also not had a single fail in tech on down-converted footage to any broadcaster.

In fact I've had G's filters pass on NTSC to PAL conversion.

The BBC are extremely strict on the tech specs to be sure, the main one being PSE (PhotoSensitive Epilepsy) due to flash frames, strobe motion or complex patterns.

There are always exceptions and one is prior consent from the commissioner to use footage that falls outside the usual technical specifications.

If in doubt - call the person responsible for your commission and ask them to OK it.

It would be pertinent to note the shots/TC that are down-converted (as you would on deliberately degraded FX) on the Record Report in the Online.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 28, 2008 06:40AM
Some of the Mods and I are putting together a list of Delivery specification links for the FAQs but you might want to have a read of these now.

Delivery UK/London TX: [www.bbc.co.uk]

TX Review: [www.bbc.co.uk]

I can't find any reference (at first glance) as to not allowing down-conversion from HD to SD...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics