Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24" with hdmi input

Posted by phil_cramer 
Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24" with hdmi input
April 23, 2008 08:14AM
I have a Dell 2407 24" already and it's dandy. Considering adding the 2408 with hdmi input to display video from Sony V1u camcorder. It would normally be a second project monitor. I don't yet have an HD board or box for my G5. If I get an ioHD or such, would the 2408 be an OK preview monitor? Not for color grading but for focus/sharpness and like. Thanks!

Phil Cramer
Indianapolis
Re: Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24" with hdmi input
April 23, 2008 11:12AM
Blackmagic's HD Link is cheapest solution for that.

[www.decklink.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24" with hdmi input
April 23, 2008 12:47PM
Some notes on the 2408WFP.
I got got some of them thru the last two month, they are getting better.

The first did have a way too red section at the left and over-saturated colors for "plain" colors (like pure red) also the analog VGA showed up some blurring in the middle of the screen - they still tend to display a bit different from left to right.
The latest production units I got this week all do have a problem with the DVI-D2 port but they are really better with color, still a bit over-saturated.

The Dell people here had been very helpful; they always offered that a new monitor will show up next morning by a direct courier service which also picked up the previous one (with no real paper work, just a sign for the delivery) - that's somehow better than 24 hours!
Unfortunately it always takes some time (here) to setup the monitor to calibrate and check all available connections (there are really a lot of them with the 2408) and then call the hotline - and I'm not in the office every day.
With those monitors I got the serial number started with "CZ" which means "Czech Republic". Obviously European Dell monitors are produced there and so I can't say anything about Dell in the US.
Anyway - the input options of the 2408 are fantastic. If you would use it as just a second monitor with the HDLink without real color confidence they are a really good choice meanwhile. And I never got a dead pixel with any of those - which in my case didn't matter anyhow.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics