FCP and Unity?

Posted by JoeE 
FCP and Unity?
April 23, 2008 07:56PM
Does this work? The facility wants to put it in (my assist and I are not sharing media) because that's what they have. I'm trying to get them to go buy eSATA (we need 8tb each) but I guess they are trying to save money because they have the Unity just lying around. We are doing 6 episodes of a series at DVCPRO HD, capturing over firewire, so it could run on firewire 800, right? Why are they being such dick heads? They started us out with some other AVID RAID drive through a ATTO card and that drops frames like mad.
Re: FCP and Unity?
April 23, 2008 08:54PM
Umm, I'm not an expert on this, but I think that it's only Unity 5.x and up that will even work with anything other than Avid, and by reports is still a bit squirrely with anything that's not an Avid.

April 23, 2008 09:20PM
And you won't get any of the really great Unity features if you aren't on AVID. It will just act like a shared storage system. The good bin management tools are built into the AVID software.

Why are they being dickheads? I think you'll have to RTFM on that one ;-)

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
April 24, 2008 09:26AM
I've been freelancing at a facility that "partitioned" part of their Unity for their new FCP systems. They are still running two Avids on the Unity. (I don't know how...so please don't ask)

The biggest PITA that I've found so far with this set up is every time I flip out of FCP to go to Photoshop or Motion or any other app, when I come back to FCP, it has lost contact with my render files.

Every time.

The render files are not gone and nothing needs to be re-rendered, but the only solution I have found (so far) is to quit FCP and relanch. When the project reloads, the render files are right where I left them.

It's a huge time-suck if you go between apps on the same computer.

debe
April 24, 2008 11:29AM
Thanks. I talked to a friend this morning and they dittoed the render thing. We talked them out of the Unity. They are saying there are problems with eSATA and Leopard dropping frames on playback, even through the native video (I'm just using a 24" to cut and a 30" to view.) They are talking about downgrading to Tiger in the middle of a project so that SATA will work properly. I hadn't heard, nor when I did a search on this forum did I see a post, about this problem with eSATA. I guess these types of problems are common with some of the post houses that are just beginning to move from AVID to FCP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics