Changing the time code on my clip

Posted by jdredline 
Changing the time code on my clip
April 25, 2008 05:58PM
How can I change the time code (Media Start info) of my clips?

My Editor cut a trailer from the 5 separate DV-Cam online output reels.

So cuts he used from any particular reel 1 through 5 will have their corresponding time code starting with hour 1 to hour 5.

Now, the trailer is going to be onlined to the long-play version of the movie. Which is hour 1 at FFP and runs continuously until the end of the movie.

An EDL I create from my current time line is now obsolete.

I need to change the time code of each of my clips (reels) to the time code they would fall into on the long-play version of the movie so my EDL would reflect the correct info.

I did this once some time ago but can't remember how I did it. I only remember being totally relieved that I didn't have to match back every shot.
Re: Changing the time code on my clip
April 25, 2008 06:23PM
"I only remember being totally relieved that I didn't have to match back every shot."

i can imagine!

open the clip in the viewer,
Modify > Timecode

change the TC in the window that opens.
if you need a reference to the Spool TC (1hr to 5hr TC)
then copy and paste that into an AUX TC field which is also in the Modify TC window.

nick
April 25, 2008 08:32PM
Nick, you're a life saver!

I only wish I got your answer before I screwed up my reel 2. Now, I can't get it to reconnect back to my original reel 2 media.

I guess I'm coming to work tomorrow (Saturday - to fix everything)

The only saving grace is that I only screwed up 1 reel. And it's only 14 shots of a total of 131 cuts.

Any suggestions on a solution for this new issue is greatly appreciated.
April 25, 2008 11:29PM
to tell the truth, jd,
im not sure exactly what the problems is smiling smiley

what went wrong with reel2?
April 26, 2008 02:26PM
The solution I came up with seemed logical - at the time.

I laid my reel 2 clip into a new sequence and gave the time line a new start time to match where the reel 2 would fall within the long play version's time code.

I then exported a Quicktime movie which assigned that timeline's TC to the movie.

Then I took my original clip and reconnected it to the new QT movie and the TC was changed to the long play version's TC. However, there was a problem with sync. By the end of the clip the TC was out of sync by 3 seconds (17 minute clip)

Now, I'm working on putting everything back to normal so that I can use the simple solution you provided above.

Thanks again for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics