"Shft F" in timeline won't find clip in browser

Posted by jwatt 
"Shft F" in timeline won't find clip in browser
May 08, 2008 11:27AM
I have a large project with many clips and all of a sudden I can't find clips in the browser from the timeline using "shft F". I get a dialog box with the message"The clip's master clip is not present. Would you like to add a master clip to the browser."

Any ideas how to fix this. I tried pasting everything into a new project, zapped preferences and pram and nothing has worked so far. The browser is also indicating all my clips are master clips.

thx...jw
Re: "Shft F" in timeline won't find clip in browser
May 08, 2008 12:14PM
That means the master clips has indeed been deleted from the browser, inadvertently or on purpose. The dialog box will make a new master clip for you. You will have to drag it back into the appropriate bin.

It's not a bug.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
May 08, 2008 04:51PM
>That means the master clips has indeed been deleted from the browser

Not in most cases. It usually means that the relationship between the clip and the browser has been corrupted. In this case, there is no workaround to it. Another scenario is that by dragging the clips from another project, final cut will not be able to establish a link to the master clip in the browser (as it doesn't exist in the browser of your project).

I just realized that when you do a copy and paste on your sequence (i usually make a duplicate), Final Cut actually forgets the link to the master clip on that sequence. I'm on FCP 5.1.4, is it replicable in FCP 6?
May 09, 2008 10:16AM
It Works!! I selected the clips and in the tools menu selected "Create master clips" and everything is linked again with log notes, etc..

thanks...my life is much improved for the next few weeks.
May 09, 2008 11:08AM
You're right in those situations that you mentioned. I think I misread his post when he said he couldn't actually find those clips....he meant "reveal" and I thought he physically couldn't find them.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics