Best LCD Monitor for FC Studio 2

Posted by T9-10 
Best LCD Monitor for FC Studio 2
May 12, 2008 01:19PM
I'm in the process of purchasing new monitors for my Mac Pro and I needed some advice. I'm hesitant to purchase the Apple Cinema Displays, as I've heard some bad things about them. I don't have the buget to go with the Panasonic or JVC high-end monitors.
Basically, I'm looking for a 24 - 26" monitor that will provide excellent color and contrast as well as display quality HD video...at an affordable price - $600-$900. I've searched around the net, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the best widescreen LCD monitors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Best LCD Monitor for FC Studio 2
May 12, 2008 01:23PM
Nothing wrong with Apple Cinema Displays. Except the cost. We here in the Cafe love our Dells

Just do a search for Dell Monitor and you will find lots of good reviews.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 12, 2008 01:57PM
Thanks Michael. I've read some positive reivews for the Dell Monitors. Has Apple fixed the pink casting issue with their displays? That seemed to be the biggest complaint. I've also heard some positive things about Samsung's monitors.

Stan
May 12, 2008 02:03PM
Wasnt that a problem on a few 23 inch displays? That was awhile ago, wasn't it? Might look in the Apple support forum to see if it is still a problem. Thing is all LCD monitors can exhibit this behavior. If it does, send it back.

[discussions.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 12, 2008 02:24PM
I was doing some digging on this subject this morning... Allow me to simplify your search a little bit:

The Dell 2408, listed at $625/each.

[accessories.us.dell.com]

[reviews.cnet.com]

There's also this Acer brand monitor at $400.

[www.amazon.com]

CNET doesn't review this Acer model, but a lower resolution monitor from Acer gets great reviews... second only to the Dell 2408.
May 12, 2008 02:39PM
Don't know about Acer. Just use Dells with no problems. Have for years. Got a 2407 in front of me.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 12, 2008 02:43PM
Thanks for the feedback. I've done some checking as well and it sounds like the Dell 2408 has some positive reviews. I also searched the Apple forums and it sounds like there are some issues with the cinema displays.
May 12, 2008 03:18PM
I have some questions myself that I am going to throw in here.

I was thinking about getting a 30" and Dell has a high end at $2000 but it has a contrast range of 3000:1. The lower price 30 and the 24 are 1000:1. The Apple is 700:1.

Just wondering what impact this has when using the monitor for projects that may include print output as well as video. Can you properly calibrate the higher contrast ratio with a Spyder. I am sure the higher contrast makes them better for watching movies but does it compromise accuracy for commercial applications?

Also wondering if anyone has experience with the JVC DT-V24L1DU studio reference LCD monitor.
B&H carries these for $3500 which seems like a fair price if it's as accurate as JVC says it is. I am looking for something to use with Color.
May 12, 2008 07:18PM
Hi,

I posted that earlier.
The Dell 2408 seem to have color problems. I did get quite a lot of them since January. Most of them did have both brightness and purple "enhancement" on the left, those which didn't (so obvious) didn't accept the DVI 2 port.
That said - I love my 2407 and Dell support always has been great.

Regards
Andreas
May 12, 2008 08:48PM
i have the original dell 2405 and its the best looking lcd for the money ive ever seen. you might look on ebay etc for surplus/lightly used ones.
May 12, 2008 09:46PM
I don't think a Spyder will calibrate an LCD for broadcast, will it? AFAIK it calibrates for print. The only way I know of to calibrate an LCD monitor for colour accurate broadcast work is with a Matrox MXO box.

May 12, 2008 11:44PM
Glad to see your post, Wayne. I, too, have a 2405 that I'm quite happy with -- I was guessing that the newer models must be better. Maybe not...?

-vic
May 13, 2008 01:09AM
ive never heard a single bad thing about a 2405 but ive heard spotty things about the 2407/2408.

and from what ive seen, the newer crop of apple monitors are kinda marginal. in fact my little samsungs look as good or better.
May 13, 2008 11:36AM
I've spoken to a couple of videographers who really like the Samsung line. Samsungs have had some decent reviews as well. Any suggestions on good 24 - 26" Samsung widescreen monitors?

Stan
May 13, 2008 12:48PM
the area where samsungs dont seem to be as good as a dell or apple is in top to bottom brightness - kinda like with a projection tv the brightness changes based on the height of your eyes relative to the height of the screen.

with my dell and apples i have to practically stand up before i notice a difference. but with my samsungs a simple nod makes a noticeable difference.
May 13, 2008 08:46PM
Sprocketz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Also wondering if anyone has experience with the
> JVC DT-V24L1DU studio reference LCD monitor.
> B&H carries these for $3500 which seems like a
> fair price if it's as accurate as JVC says it is.
> I am looking for something to use with Color.

My Post Sup just bought 4 of these for our bays. They look great (even with SD) and have very good blacks .
May 13, 2008 08:56PM
bigbossbmb,
Thanks for that info. I was not able to go to NAB this year and really wanted to evaluate this monitor. The Panasonics are too green I think and the reference Sony's way too expensive. I have seen some magazine reviews but no reviews from working editors. A question, how do they deal with SD screen size? Do they scale it up or just place the image smaller in the center of the screen?
May 14, 2008 12:43AM
You can do both. Normally they scale up (with great results), but pressing the "1:1" button will just show it at native SD resolution in the center of the screen.
May 14, 2008 06:50PM
T9-10,

Are you looking for just a computer monitor or are you looking for something to use as a b'cast monitor to judge the color and image quality of your work?

-A
May 15, 2008 10:17AM
Hey adkimery,

Right now I'm looking for two 24-26" computer monitors. Ideally, I'd like to cut 720 footage and color correct. It's amazing how difficult it has been to find a consistent preference for monitors. People seem to be torn on the Apple, Dell, Samsung, ViewSonic, etc. I'm beginning to think that any monitor, with even the slightest good buzz, will suffice. What are your thoughts?

Stan
May 15, 2008 06:22PM
check out the refurb section at Dell.com

2407's for 499 clams!

[outlet.us.dell.com]

S. Husky Höskulds

[www.eightbitaudio.com]
May 15, 2008 08:08PM
I really disagree that any monitor will suffice for colour work.

How are you planning to get the signal to the monitor? You can get a Matrox MXO so that you can calibrate an LCD for colour work. Otherwise, your gamma will be completely wrong.

Personally, I'm still using CRT until the technology in the LCDs improves and comes down in price. A real, proper CC LCD is about $65,000 right now. You can get a nice CRT in your price range second hand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics