"File Attribute Mismatch" when re-connecting offline clips

Posted by storkba 
"File Attribute Mismatch" when re-connecting offline clips
May 17, 2008 03:19AM
This problem is killing me and I've been all over the web and talked for hours with Apple Pro Apps support too. First off, I'm just interested if anyone else who is working in the same workflow as me has had the same problem. I've never had this problem before when I've shot in different formats. It seems that it could be an issue that is related to the firestore.

Here's the problem:
I've shot all my footage on the firestore (FS-100) in the QT PN setting, DVC Pro HD 720p60 (.mov files). When I import into final cut, there is no problem. The problem lies with trying to synch the project with my additional backup drives. I need to be able to send a project back and forth between multiple editors that both have the same source files. But, when I take the original media offline, and reconnect it to my backup media (the exact same files and file structure), I get the following error message:

"File Attribute Mismatch"
"Some attributes of one or more of the files you have chosen do not match the attributes of the original. This may cause problems within the sequences that are dependent on them. The attributes that differed are as follows:
-Rate
Would you like to try to connect them again?

If I continue and connect the clips, it adjusts the in and out points that I've already set in my timeline (and subclips and markers), thus destroying my entire edit so far.

Somehow, final cut thinks that the firestore .mov files on my backup are different clips, even though they are exactly the same. Is there anything you know of that I can do so that final cut sees my original and backup files as the same file?

Thanks a ton!!

My system: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Ram, OSX 10.5.2, Final Cut Pro 6.0.2.
Re: "File Attribute Mismatch" when re-connecting offline clips
May 17, 2008 04:16AM
Hmm... 6.0.3 fixed a reconnection bug as well as a "file too new" bug when sharing fcp project files. Clone your drive and do a software update.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 17, 2008 09:10AM
> Is there anything you know of that I can do so that final cut sees my original and backup files as
> the same file

The "mismatched attributes" issue often happens in FCP6 for no reason at all, though if it's an application error, the reconnect usually happens without a problem. How did you clone the media in the beginning to two locations? Try creating a dummy project file individually on both sides, clearly labelled (eg. "dummy_proj_station_a"winking smiley, then cross them over to the opposite station and reconnect. Does the issue happen with both project files or just one? Do both project files reconnect incorrectly? What happens if you rename the media drive on one station to match the other station exactly in every detail?

www.derekmok.com
May 17, 2008 11:05AM
> How did you clone the media in
> the beginning to two locations?

Thanks for the quick response. I copied the source files directly from one drive to the other. I've also tried using different drives to make sure it wasn't a drive problem.

>Try creating a
> dummy project file individually on both sides,
> clearly labelled (eg. "dummy_proj_station_a"winking smiley,
> then cross them over to the opposite station and
> reconnect. Does the issue happen with both
> project files or just one? Do both project files
> reconnect incorrectly?

Yes, they both reconnect incorrectly.

>What happens if you rename
> the media drive on one station to match the other
> station exactly in every detail?

I've tried to name the drives the same thing, and it still happens. The folder structure on both drives is also identical. I've even tried copying the source clips directly to my desktop and I get the same problem. I've also tried on a friend's macbook and we run into the same issue.
May 17, 2008 03:44PM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmm... 6.0.3 fixed a reconnection bug as well as a
> "file too new" bug when sharing fcp project files.
> Clone your drive and do a software update.

This appears to have fixed the problem. I still get the "File Attribute Mismatch" error message after the upgrade, but now, it no longer adjusts the in & out points set in my timeline!

Thanks a lot!
May 17, 2008 06:47PM
all members of your team will also have to update, of course.

i am still mainly on 6.02, and have seen some reconnect weirdness where there shouldn't be any.
haven't seen a "rate" mis-match, though.

i suspect that FCP sometimes sees, and sometimes ignores the .mov extension, and this is confusing the reconnection.
i haven't looked closely enough to really get to the bottom of this.

nick
May 18, 2008 09:56AM
The file attribute mismatch seems a pretty common occurrence, but it rarely does anything.

>all members of your team will also have to update, of course.

Usually, you'll avoid doing updates in the middle of a project, but in this case, it fixes a bug. And besides, sharing project files in 6.0.2 doesn't seem like the wisest thing to do.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics