OT - wireless network adapter for Mac Pro tower

Posted by jwilliam 
OT - wireless network adapter for Mac Pro tower
May 22, 2008 01:33PM
I'm doing some gizmo re-wiring, and it's looking like I'm moving my cable modem & wireless router to another room, away from my Mac Pro tower.

Is there an adapter I can plug in to the Mac Pro to pick up the internet signal from my wireless router? What's the best way to get a Mac Pro onto a wireless network?

I'm hoping there's a reasonably easy way to do this, otherwise I'm going to have to run an ethernet cable zig-zagging through my house.
Re: OT - wireless network adapter for Mac Pro tower
May 22, 2008 02:18PM
Actually... belay that last question -- just figured out that I can get another cable modem and keep my connection as it is.

The better question now is what is the best way to connect the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT video card to a client monitor & keep my two 23" cinema displays connected. The card only has 2 DVI outputs, so how do you connect an NTSC monitor?
May 22, 2008 02:28PM
Get an Apple AIRPORT card.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
May 22, 2008 03:34PM
Connect the NTSC monitor through your deck. That's what most of us do.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
May 22, 2008 05:02PM
Ah, but therein lies the rub... I don't have a deck around here all the time.

I'm guessing that my options are either:

a) new video card, or

b) some sort of firewire to RCA converter that I'm not aware of.

What I'm trying to do here is get a video stream off my Mac Pro and connect it to RCA inputs. I'm trying to use a Slingbox to feed a video stream to a client at their location. In theory, it should work and quite possibly would be a very nifty solution. To make it work, though, I need to get my FCP sending video out of my Mac Pro to and RCA input connector.
May 22, 2008 05:37PM
Just for the record, I want to answer your original question, because I had to do exactly that a few weeks ago. Answer: Airport card (like Shane says). Complication: you can't buy one and install it yourself, you have to have it done by Apple. I went to the Genius Bar at an Apple store, they did it in 15 minutes, and it cost about $45, including install. Closest Apple store to me isn't all that close, so it was a bit of a drag, but if you're closer it's a snap. Recommend you make an appointment (online) and call to make sure they have a card in stock.

Scott
May 22, 2008 06:55PM
Sounds like you just need a Canopus Firewire converter; they go from FW400 to RCA outs. Otherwise a DV camera with RCA outputs will work the same way.

JK

May 23, 2008 08:52PM
if you're client monitor has HDMI or Component connections, then I'd go with a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics