OT: Which monitor to buy - definitively not a Dell for me

Posted by Andreas Kiel 
OT: Which monitor to buy - definitively not a Dell for me
May 26, 2008 11:34AM
Hi all,

I posted some comments about the Dell 2408WP before - now this got a new flavour here.
After I got again a new one (several since January), which shows again this color shift from left to right (which is pretty extreme - even though I don't won't to use it with Color) I complaint again. The better ones I got earlier failed with a non working DVI port.

Here the answers from the todays phone support: All monitors do have this color shift, you should know that before you buy.
After asking where I can find this info in the specs: we don't know whether it's written anywhere, but people know that.
After asking for an address to complain about such business behaviour: you can send a fax to a number we can send you.
After saying: I don't have a fax, please give me an email address or an postal address to send my complaints.
Following answer: There is no email address or postal address you only can use the fax number.
After asking for a "higher level" person in the call center: use that fax number.
After asking again for a postal or email address: use this "xxxxxx.@dell.com", but we can't guarantee it will work.
After asking for a confirmation of this conversation per email: we'll send one.
Up to now nothing showed up in my inbox or junk.

Seems Dell is not anymore that company it used to be.

Just the impressions of an 1.30 hour phone call.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Re: OT: Which monitor to buy - definitively not a Dell for me
May 26, 2008 12:56PM
No color shift here or at work so it's not "everybody".

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 26, 2008 02:24PM
grafixjoe
No color shift here or at work so it's not "everybody".
That's why I said "for me".

The main sentence in this long support call was:
All monitors do have this color shift, you should know that before you buy.

That's why I did this post.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
May 26, 2008 03:02PM
Joe, do you have the 2407 or the 2408. Seems like most people here are happy with their 2407's or earlier. It's seems that the 2408 have problems isolated to them. I was thinking about getting a 2408 but the problems have led me to think that a 2407 from ebay would be better.
Anonymous User
May 26, 2008 03:21PM
I have both 2405 and 2407
Both are excellent. Shame about the 2408

Thanks for sharing Andreas
May 26, 2008 03:49PM
As said in earlier posts I'm very happy with the 2407 version. They are excellent.
But got problems with any of those 2408WP I got since January.
And again I just wanted to share the answers from Dell support - which may help others to make a decision. Still a personal decision for anybody.

Andreas
May 26, 2008 05:11PM
That's a shame, I still am recommending Dells for a friend who i building an HD FCP suite. I have had been really satisfied with my 2405 and heard good things about the 2407s. Too bad, sounds like I will have to recommend possibly going back to an Apple monitor.

Dan
May 26, 2008 05:52PM
I will go to a computer part supplier here in town this week. They got some Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM in stock. I had a look at those today and they looked very good when I played around a bit with the settings - especially for a price of 480 EUR compared to the DELL 2408WP at 890 EUR.
Those guys said: okay come here, bring your computer, we'll have the monitors and some coffee and time to test several of those. Nice offer. I'll let you know about the experience.

Something which (I think) needs to be said again. The monitors in this price range are no monitors which are really the monitors to be used with a serious color correction tool - especially if your customer sits next to you.

Andreas
May 26, 2008 09:39PM
2407 at home, 2408 at work. Love 'em both.

Regarding using them as a color correction tool...no computer monitor should be used for that. They are just for screen real estate. A Calibrated CRT or high end production LCD monitor should be used for accurate CC.

...in my opinion.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics