Strangest, most bizarre playback problem I have ever seen

Posted by wgazecki 
Strangest, most bizarre playback problem I have ever seen
June 01, 2008 02:25PM
This is really a strange one, and it might take a bit to explain fully. My system is a G5 Dual 2.5PPC with 7GBRAM, using a Sonnet E4P SATA controller driving 4-drive enclosures with 4 drives in each, all hooked up as 2-drive RAIDS (16 drives, 8 RAIDS total, using 1 SATA port multiplier in each 4-drive box). I'm running FCP 6.0.2 and am working in the AIC codec. I have been editing for well over a year, and the problem just started a few days ago. The issue is a playback issue, whether from the timeline or viewer. When playing back any clip from only one particular 2-drive RAID, when start is pressed I see a green screen, then playback. Playback is normal (sound and picture, no jitters), but no filters work. When pressing stop, the usual still-frame is split into two halves (left and right). The left half is split again (top and bottom), and those two halves are again split (left and right). The content of these small rectangular regions is either black, green, or a partial image. But the partial image is always from a portion of the most recently viewed clips (NOT only the clip currently being played). When I press play again, I get a short green screen, then "normal" playback (no filters). So for starters, it sounds like a compression issue (recursive iterations of a split screen, then half that screen, then half THAT screen), or a buffer issue (i.e. images from recently viewed clips in the "split sections"winking smiley. The wierdness starts when troubleshooting: first, this only happens with clips from one RAID- all other 2-drive arrays continue to function normally. Second, any clip from the suspect RAID behaves normally when copied onto any other RAID or individual drive. If copied back to the suspect RAID, the bad behavior returns. Third, playback in QT Player is normal, from any location, includng the suspect RAID. In attempting to fix this, I have bought 2 new drives for the suspect RAID, transferring everything off that RAID and then back on to the new drives (with fresh formatting). The problem persists. Then I thought it might be the port multiplier- so I replaced that. Problem persists. Then I though it might be the Sonnet E4P controller card, so I switched controller ports- problem stays with the same RAID (does not follow the controller ports). At this point I am out of options. It is definitely drive (or RAID) specific, and yet changing every critical component in the chain does not seem to have any effect. It is a weird problem to begin with, as I have never experienced a playback issue that only affects clips on a specific drive, and I cannot figure out why the filters don't work. Also, if I try and render one of the clips where the filters don't work, all I get is a black screen. Again, only the cips on this RAID are affected, and every clip behaces teh same way (which rules outsome sort of file corruption, especially as every clip behaves normally when copied to a different RAID/drive). Does anyone have any idea what I am dealing with here?

Thanks very much,
William Gazecki
Re: Strangest, most bizarre playback problem I have ever seen
June 01, 2008 10:24PM
1st

you need to break that post up into 3-4 sentence paragraphs, it is hard to read. I didn't even finish it.

however, have you checked your av settings under fcp > a/v settings. there is a box that says mirror on desktop. check if you are monitoring via fw800.

the problem is more than likely in the settings cause if the footage was corrupted on the drive it wouldn't play at all.

i have gotten the same thing before in fcp5.1.4 not seen it happen in fcs 6.0.2.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
June 02, 2008 12:50AM
> I didn't even finish it.

You should finish it. It's odd if I ever see that happen. I'll send an email to the manufacturer and have the drive replaced.

>check if you are monitoring via fw800.

That option doesn't exist.

On the other hand, William, have you tried running a speed check on the disks? I'm not sure if repair disk permissions would work in this case. Try resetting PRAM and VRAM (usually the first thing I'll do if the system turns mucky)- restart the system, hold option R apple O and wait for the second "boing".

Also, 7 GB RAM... Are you running Leopard?

www.strypesinpost.com
June 02, 2008 09:45AM

yes it does. if you are motoring from fw to a deck and then to monitor then you are using fcp monitor via fw ntsc in the a/v settings tab. The toggle of the mirror on desktop sometime freezes the canvas or viewer and may be a cause of this green screen.

It is my opinion that the problem is not the drive. As i said, I have had this happen at least 8 times before and have tried a number of things to solve it but nothing works consistently.

The drive that the media was on is still in use with no problems at all (knock on wood). though i never use any raid setting ( i use jbod ).

It could be the drive in this case but what he describes is what i have seen before.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
June 02, 2008 09:57AM
you made it sound as if there was some specific fw800 option, which there isn't.

nm
June 02, 2008 10:25AM
so what is this?

""""
June 02, 2008 10:34AM
See that setting has made the difference when ever i have seen the green screen. it has also effected my playback in the canvas.

This might not be his problem but it was the remedy to mine. i switched it to 'none' to see if the green would stay while playback happens and it made the difference. all i do after that is trash prefs and restarted.

This also caused freezes in playback where i had to choose between what would play as normal and what would hold a freeze frame during playback.

Mirror desktop unchecked produced norm playback in the canvas but a freeze frame in the monitor. Check the option and get the opposite effect.

""""
June 02, 2008 10:37AM
So where exactly in your image does it say FireWire 800?
June 02, 2008 11:22AM
no where exactly but since every one here know what fw is i do see that. The 800 part may not be there but we all know what fw in this menu is.

i also mentioned mirror on desktop and most who would even attempt to answer this question know where that is also.

I said this 3 years ago in this forum:
its is not the fact that you can find grammatical errors that prove that we are intelligent. Yet it is the ability to understand the the message with its flaws.
If anyone can correct your spelling or syntax then it also means that that person know what was meant to be said. This means they could have just answered based on that understanding.

I am not trying to be a smart ass. I know that in this business it is best to be exact so i try when possible but that was kinda small compared to some of the horrendous mistakes i have made.

""""
June 02, 2008 12:00PM
That fw refers to a 4 to 6 pin firewire 400. It is used for monitoring via a camcorder.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 02, 2008 12:12PM

yes it does. if you are motoring from fw to a deck and then to monitor then you are using fcp monitor via fw ntsc in the a/v settings tab.

NO...it doesn't. Monitoring through FW800 (which is NOT an option) is not the same as monitoring through a deck or camera connected via firewire 400.

BE SPECIFIC WHEN OFFERING UP ADVICE PLEASE!!!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 02, 2008 12:20PM
u are right stypes. i still say that in context of what i was attempting to explain it should have been understood.

Now, where is my holly water?.. i know i had it here somewhere.

""""
June 02, 2008 12:23PM
J if you are going to put specifications into your posts PLEASE do a double check that they are correct...

If you aren't sure; and think your post might be lacking proper definitions then say so, instead of causing more confusion with spurious posts.

For future reference!

Mirroring on the desktop will not cause this issue - despite what you say. It is not even a firewire specific option (and definitely not FW800). It simply plays back in the Canvas window when monitoring on an external device which COULD be via firewire or an AJA or Blackmagic card...

So I say again - please check what you are offering up as advice is correct before you throw a spanner in the works and potentially waste someone's time.

Now back to the problem...

William - what Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) have you got installed in the RAID(s)?

I'm gonna throw a load of queries in here as I read your post. But you haven't told us the make models of any other products apart from the controller card. Yes it could do with putting into paragraphs! (Yes J... you were right but no need to say ITYS).

Lets get this correct:

? Sonnet E4P SATA controller

Connected via 1 SATA to each RAID Enclosure (all four ports connected on card)

? 4x RAID Enclosures (what make?)

with 4x HDDs in each 16 Total HDDs (is each drive identical? What size/make?)

Formatted in Pairs making 8 RAID sets - (RAID 0 Striped or RAID 1 Mirrored? HFS+ Journalling off/on?)

? Are the HDDs are made by Seagate - are they the RAID specific ones?

If they aren't then you may need to JBOD them instead as unlike Hitachi some manufacturers make slightly different versions for different applications.

? Have you tried formatting each drive on the problem RAID separately? So four HDDs? To see if the problem is actually the RAID set of a connection issue on one or more of the separate HDDs.

? Have you tried the RAID on its own with no other sets connected?

? Is there a reason you haven't updated to 6.0.3?

? What Mac OS X and QT are you running?

I know its a lot, but please try to answer each so we can eliminate some questions and move on - hopefully to a resolution!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics