YouTube Content Identification Program

Posted by Scott Erickson 
YouTube Content Identification Program
June 04, 2008 11:34AM
Got an interesting email last night...from YouTube
"Dear YouTube Member:

UMG has claimed some or all audio content in your video The Fog. This claim was made as part of the YouTube Content Identification program.

Your video is still live because UMG has authorized the use of this content on YouTube. As long as UMG has a claim on your video, they will receive public statistics about your video, such as number of views. Viewers may also see advertising on your video's page.

Claim Details:
Copyright owner: UMG
Content claimed: Some or all of the audio content
Policy: Allow this content to remain on YouTube.

* Place advertisements on this video's watch page.

Applies to these locations:
Everywhere

UMG claimed this content as a part of the YouTube Content Identification program. YouTube allows partners to review YouTube videos for content to which they own the rights. Partners may use our automated video / audio matching system to identify their content, or they may manually review videos."

This is the

video

Now i know its copyrighted music, no complaints on that, just some nice footage i edited together and thought the song fit really well and wanted to share with friends. What's interesting to me is that this isnt a particularly high hitcount video nor do i mention the name of the band in the description. They found this through their Video Identification tool

UMG uploads copies of their content and creates ID files that Google compares to YouTube content, looking for matches to these digital fingerprints. The interesting thing is that this is an 8minute Sigur Ros song that i cut to 2.5 mins and they still found it. Apparently, Googles got some pretty banging software.

Anyway, the neat thing is that they didnt block my video, UMG just gets access to the statistics of the video and the ability to overlay their ads, which ive yet to see. All of which is fine by me and a very refreshing and enlightened approach to copyrighted material and the internets, especially compared to the RIAA's sue everyone we can approach.

Just thought people might be interested...
Re: YouTube Content Identification Program
June 04, 2008 12:55PM
Well...no duh. Sorry, but if you use copyrighted content in stuff you post publically, why wouldn't they do this. I am shocked that they didn't remove it. Someone had a video removed because their 2 year old kid was singing lyrics to some Van Halen song.

Copyright infringement is taken very seriously.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 04, 2008 01:10PM
wow, you totally missed the point of this post.

I have no complaints about the email, i know its copyrighted, thats not the issue.

I think its neat that Google can search their database of x-millions of videos for a certain digital fingerprint of a song that i heavily cut and manipulated. I think its neat that UMG is taking a handsoff approach to using copyrighted materials across the internet, choosing to monetize and incorporate the movie data into their databases instead of shutting it all down. Its a more open and liberal approach to copyrights and the internet that im sure Google played a very heavy part in implementing. It's neat and i wanted to share this because i havent seen it mentioned anywhere else and i think people here might be interested...
June 04, 2008 01:13PM
Ohhhh...

Beg pardon.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 04, 2008 01:38PM
That's interesting. I'm actually thinking partly of all the showreels put up online that have soundtrack not originally composed. It's good that they don't take it down.... Lots of editors can be finding it hard getting that next job.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 04, 2008 01:56PM
Removing the offending content is also a good way to do it. That said, some people on YouTube even get pissed about that. I personally think it's a good approach -- the companies have the right to control their traffic, but they're not suing the people doing the postings.

Some of you might remember a live cover of "Kiss" I posted a while ago just for a laugh. It got flagged and then removed in about two weeks. Prince's people appear to be very sharp about monitoring the content. In my case, it was pretty strict of them considering that I didn't touch the original recording at all(if you use even just 90 seconds of the original recording on your own video, then people can get the recording itself), but it was perfectly within their right to do so.

www.derekmok.com
June 04, 2008 02:41PM
[That's interesting. I'm actually thinking partly of all the showreels put up online that have soundtrack not originally composed. ]

Handing out DVD reels to private clients (guilty) is one thing, but you're describing BROADCAST-- you could be in for a heap o'trouble. Do what Derek suggests.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 04, 2008 03:48PM

While the usage of video excerpts on such showreels can be regarded as a breach of copyright, it is generally accepted in the film industry to do so, as it is the only tool of an artist to actually self-promote her/his work.

From Wiki [en.wikipedia.org]

Lots of guys put up their reels online with copyrighted songs supporting the visuals. Reels are a bit of a murky ground. Sure, there's copyright content involved, but when was the last time someone didn't check out an online portfolio? Is this about piracy per se, where we aren't buying the music legitimately or in doing so preventing anyone from buying the music? We do work in a cutting edge industry, and handing out dvds isn't the same as having an online reel. That being said, one of the criteria for someone deciding on a showreel, is how the editor uses music/ can cut to music...

That's my own view on it... For more, read the faq
[www.lafcpug.org]

www.strypesinpost.com
June 04, 2008 08:33PM
Hi All -

I think the copy write and patent laws have got Way out of control -

Copyrights have been extended to -- 70 to 120 years longer -
depending on the works circumstances -

Used to be Much less time--

Both the patent and copyright laws were Originally written to give the Creator of the
work Some time to make money -

Then the work is Supposed to go into the public domain to be Used
for the Good of the People and Society -

The first mickey mouse cartoons will finally reach public domain
around 2050 to 2090 --by then who cares -
June 05, 2008 08:09AM
The rules are a bit different if you include copyrighted material in a "parody". I think this falls under the "fair use act" or something like that. In that case, you are allowed to use copyrighted material without permission. You see this a lot in political stuff. The line here can be fuzzy so be careful.
June 05, 2008 09:04AM

The rules are a bit different if you include copyrighted material in a "parody"

Not for copyrighted recorded media it isn't - for instance it can be used for thing like weird Al's stuff where you might re-record your own version of a song but change the lyrics, however even this can be contentious.

Article on Parody and Fair Use: [www.publaw.com]

A single note of a recognised song can be used against you if you don't have clearance - they have all but closed the urban myth of the sampling law for almost everyone apart from Education and even then its a slippery subject.

Not to mention that laws regarding copyright differ from country to country but ultimately you should not use any copyrighted material without permission or you are asking for trouble in these days where EVERYTHING and I mean everything is scanned - seriously its enough to make you into borderline Paranoid Schizophrenic!

The UK Government are still trying to pass a law which would have them store EVERY digital communication on a central server for anti-terror purposes (amongst other more sinister things no doubt), the US government is always trying to pass similar bills. Non of this ultimately will do anything to stop a determined person or group but it will give them the Big Brother State that they have so been craving!

Anyway I digress somewhat - whether you believe the reasons for omnipotence of media content or not - you should still abide by the law or face the consequences - simply being small fry doesn't mean they won't make you or a 12 year old girl or 90 year old grandmother an example!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics