EXECL spread sheet for FCP Logging

Posted by James Hecht 
EXECL spread sheet for FCP Logging
June 04, 2008 08:16PM
I work with an Avid editor who will give me work if his producers can log their tapes in an excel spread sheet, and then I import the list in FCP for capture. Is there a tutorial, or excel spread sheet I can down load. Thanks James Hecht

Never give up, there is always a solution
Re: EXECL spread sheet for FCP Logging
June 04, 2008 08:21PM
[www.mcreserveit.com]

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 04, 2008 09:10PM
Thanks Shane, onec again you are helpfull, ie NAB

Never give up, there is always a solution
June 05, 2008 12:28AM
Honestly, and with all due respect to the genius that is Larry Jordan, I found that worksheet bulky and confusing. I made my own that made more sense to me. Maybe it'll help you.

[spreadsheets.google.com] to preview, and
[spreadsheets.google.com] to download the sheet.

What this one has is that you don't have to worry about the colons and semi colons of timecode and DF vs NonDF, just tab or arrow into the next column. It uses the "Concatenate" function to put it all back together. You'll need to copy the final timecode columns, and then "Paste Special" as values.
It also has the columns that worked for me, in the order I found I wanted to enter it.

So that's what worked for me, feel free to use it. But the main thing is this- mess around with it until it's easy for you to log.

----
www.JamesNWeber.com - Socially Aware Media

and introducing-
www.FCPTutorials.com - One source for all Final Cut Tutorials
June 05, 2008 02:35PM
some other tools for logging to Excel can be found on my site.

Few come to mind:
LTC reader (paste the current TC of the deck into Excel with just one keystroke, but you have to have the LTC out from the deck connected to the soundcard)

LTC logger (does the same, but you can type in the application and export Avid or FCP log lists)

422 logger, (log over RS 422, have machine control and output Avid or FCP log lists)

Bouke
www.videotoolshed.com
June 05, 2008 03:36PM
Thats some great tools you got in there bouke. Keep forgetting you exist. I'll tell everyone in next lafcpug newsletter to head on over to your site and look around.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 05, 2008 03:54PM
Michael,
Thx.
But, also encourage people to bitch about things that do not work as expected, or things they miss.
My work is about improving workflows, and i have ideas on how software should 'feel'.
However, I think i know it all, but there are a zillion way of accomplishing tasks and i'm sure others have different ideas. I'm always open to suggestions, and i love problems in workflows to be solved.

Bouke
www.videotoolshed.com
Re: EXECL spread sheet for FCP Logging (this problem is kinda different)
June 07, 2008 11:44AM
(I x-posted this on Creative Cow but have received no replies to date, and it's somewhat urgent)

This is probably a easy fix to some, but we?re having some real problems figuring it out how to proceed?so?I?m asking for your help.
We?re stuck with this format, so I have run out of options, and I apologize for the x-post.

We have downloaded and tried the different Excel logging spreadsheets available for Final Cut and have a somewhat different situation. Our log sheets come from a producer who will only give us the ?in?-timecode, and duration in Excel format with all notes and car numbers etc. All the columns are text only and not formatted (other than being text). Basically it?s a Excel format column and row text sheet. He just types in the information. (He thinks since I?m the editor, its my job to make it ?work??(somehow).

We have spent the better part of two days trying to modify all the ones we have found to generate a useable batch file for import into FCP. The ?normal? ones work and import clips fine?but...this isn?t ?normal? (for us). We?re not too savvy about Excel and, with 43 more shows to go, we?re trying to find some help in making or modifying any of them that will calculate the ?out duration? etc, and allow us to make (export) a proper tab-delineated file for batch capture. (We were hoping we would be able to just copy and paste them?wrong).

To be specific, the Excel column format we receive contains the following items?in this order:

In-show (a check off box used when it is ?actually on the timeline?), Item Number (each cut number is specific to every cut used in the show i.e. 42508-63, 42508-64 etc), Item Description, Length (:10, :20, 2:12 etc), Segment Run Time (a total running time for each ?segment? of the show), Tape Number, and Time Code (no frames, just whole numbers?i.e. 10:04 or 1:02) and a column for total segment times totaling up all the segments (segment one: 5:45, Segment two 6:03 etc.) so we know we?re not going over in total time.

To add to this scenario (!), the batch capturing of some of the tapes are done in Adobe Premiere using the same spreadsheet format and converted to Quicktime for finishing ?over here? on FCP. So, It?s the same problem ?over there? even before it comes to me for finishing but?there is a difference in the formatting of the columns for batch capture in Premiere. It?s a nightmare since we do not understand how to format cells or deal with time values, text only cells and automatic calculations etc, etc, etc .

If anyone can modify Larry?s (Jordan) spreadsheet, or any of the other ones available here or on-line (i.e. Time Code Log, Capture Log, Log Template etc, or any others we don?t know about?OR, even just tell us ?how? to modify the ones we already have to use in both systems, we would be SO thankful.

If only we could get the producer to modify ?his? spreadsheet, it would be very convenient but, all of these are already in place and changes are not possible at this time, and, he will not change his. We get about 40 hours of tape for each show (don?t ask) so batching is the only way to go and be cost effective and efficient.

Can anyone help us? Please?
(All this ((%$DG6@L&winking smiley)TIMETOTAL=Stuff IS going to drive me crazy!)
Re: EXECL spread sheet for FCP Logging (this problem is kinda different)
June 07, 2008 11:53AM
should not be difficult for me, but i'm not good with Excel...
(the only trouble i see for an Excel guy is to to calculate the Outpoint from the in and duration. for me it's easy...)

I can make something that does the conversion for you, but that will set you back a few hundred bucks.

And, if he is typing it, how accurate are the numbers? Does he misses colons or not?

If you sent me a sample XML i can have a look and make you a quote.

Mail me direct if you like, bouke@videotoolshed.com

Bouke
www.videotoolshed.com
June 07, 2008 12:44PM
Can you post one spreadsheet, or email one, so we can actually work with what you have?

--
Eric Harnden
Quintessential Studios
---------------------------------
[wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net]
[twitter.com]
June 07, 2008 02:03PM
You can email me at:

steventv (at) insightbb.com

JustaMule
June 09, 2008 09:03AM
Never mind, we'll just do it manually.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics