using Google Earth in FCP and it's SUPER slow

Posted by spitfire72 
using Google Earth in FCP and it's SUPER slow
June 08, 2008 01:02AM
Hi. I don't usuually work with motion graphics, esp. not in FCP, but I am trying to edit some QT exports from Google Earth (animation codec) with some regular dv video. I've rendered the imported (Google Earth) footage in the timeline, but anytime I touch it to trim, play, etc. the spinning beachball shows up and I have to wait 20 seconds to make my next move. I can easily scrub other footage in other sequences, but not the Google Earth. The sequence preset is set for animation as well, if that matters here. Editing is pretty much paralyzed at this pace. Am I doing something obviously wrong?

Thank you!
Re: using Google Earth in FCP and it's SUPER slow
June 08, 2008 02:39AM
Editing in the Animation codec...that is what you are doing wrong. That isn't meant to be used for editing.

Choose a different codec...use QT or Compressor to convert the Google Earth footage into that codec. If your footage is DV, then the obvious choice would be DV/NTSC.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 08, 2008 05:11AM
>The sequence preset is set for animation as well, if that matters here.

You can also drop the animation footage into a DV NTSC timeline. Since all your footage is DV NTSC, it will down convert on render.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 08, 2008 09:25AM
One thing you may be doing wrong is using the regular Google earth for a professional project
If you use Google Earth for a paying project you need to purchase Google Earth Pro (the networks all use that version now for their "Fly in" to location shots.)

It will give you complete control over how Google Earth animates, the smoothness of the transitions, even what text shows up on screen

Go here to see the comparisons and note that ONLY Google Earth Pro has the Movie Maker function that allows smooth animations at the speed and rates you wish (yes you can do that with regular Google earth or a screen capture program but the results aren't great - nor are they legal -- these are copyrighted images)

here's the comparison chart

Google Earth Pro comparison chart

It's a 400 dollar a year license - a a bargain if you do a lot of this (Does anyone use Curious World Maps? it's a 10,000 dollar plus license)

Best Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics