la cie big disk extreme is 'read only'!

Posted by Chris Maher 
la cie big disk extreme is 'read only'!
June 09, 2008 04:21PM
ok I got it on ebay, maybe shouldn't have but this seller takes returns. I plug the thing into my G5 and while it shows up on desktop, can't drag anything onto it "the item [filename] cannot be moved because "LaCie" cannot be modified"

anybody know what the heck is going on here?
Re: la cie big disk extreme is 'read only'!
June 09, 2008 04:24PM
Is it formatted to NTFS? NTFS is a windows file system and is read-only for macs. The drive should be formatted to Mac OS extended.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 09, 2008 04:55PM
LaCie + Ebay = Oy Vey

Seriously...you have to wipe & reformat my friend in Disk Utility.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 09, 2008 05:01PM
Better still, just return the thing and get a G-Tech or Seagate.

www.derekmok.com
June 09, 2008 05:16PM
> Seriously...you have to wipe & reformat my friend in Disk Utility.

Your friend is a hard disk!?

www.strypesinpost.com
June 09, 2008 05:33PM
yikes G tech prices start at 4x what I paid!e

not sure if I can even reformat, the seller said that it was working with a mac, now says "well it's not mine it's my friends" ,. . .

anyway for reformatting do I pick "mac os extended" plain or "journaled" or "case sensitive/case sensitive journaled"? I guess just os extended is fine eh? anyway just kinda did it and...

yes files will copy to it now....

I suppose I will partition too... but do tell me if you think "journaled" is a good idea
June 09, 2008 05:39PM
"Journaled" generally isn't a good idea for media drives. If you're only using the drive for storage, it's alright. You can toggle them on/off later.

Case sensitive? I don't think you want that.

Last thing, is that, depending on what you are doing, you might find better drives (and RAIDed ones) to be worth the bang for buck.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 09, 2008 05:45PM
oh well this one is firewire at least... I will just like get a better one next time rather than go to the trouble to return, I think this one is ok for now, btu I will be needing another before too long...

thanks all!
June 09, 2008 05:59PM
Ok Chris but don't rely on it... and keep it cool (really cool) and less than 80% full - seriously!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 09, 2008 06:12PM

oh well this one is firewire at least... I will just like get a better one next time rather than go to the trouble to return, I think this one is ok for now

Famous last words...

You get what you pay for in the end every time. There's no FAN in there, man! It should be against the law to sell HD Enclosures without fans. That's like selling OVENS without DOORS. Good luck, Chris. Better order another one just in case yours starts clicking the "click-'O-death". You will recognize the symptoms...loud rhythmic HD clicking followed by the HD not showing up on the desktop.

Viva LaCie!!

June 09, 2008 06:41PM
Let me also add to the list of "careful LaCie drive handling instructions":

Don't move it. Ever. These are not good drives to carry back and forth from one facility to another. Keep it stationary, well ventilated, and thoroughly backed up, and you'll be at less risk of failure.

G-Raid, I must admit, are worth the price - both for performance and reliability. My 1TB drive works like a champ, I just wish it didn't enter sleep mode so quickly.
June 09, 2008 06:52PM
> I just wish it didn't enter sleep mode so quickly.

Media drives should never go to sleep. They freeze up systems and disconnect media. System preferences, under "Energy saver" uncheck the boxes and push all sliders to "never"

www.strypesinpost.com
June 09, 2008 07:54PM
> yikes G tech prices start at 4x what I paid!

There's a reason for that. So the question you have to ask yourself is: "Do I feel lucky?" My directing partner, fully informed by me of the evils of Lacie, put some media from P2 cards (the cards had to be wiped immediately -- they belonged to an institution) onto his Lacie for about two hours, two weeks ago. The f*&^ing thing chose that day to die, and he lost a whole day's shoot before he could even mount the thing for long enough to do a backup. Half a night, that's all it took for his shoot to go down the drain.

So before you go into the mentality of saying "Oh, it's working fine for now", ask yourself how much your media, time, creativity and your crew's manpower are worth.

www.derekmok.com
June 09, 2008 10:39PM
"The f*&^ing thing chose that day to die, and he lost a whole day's shoot before he could even mount the thing for long enough to do a backup. So before you go into the mentality of saying "Oh, it's working fine for now", ask yourself how much your media, time, creativity and your crew's manpower are worth."

I am so paranoid about this stuff that I take two drives to the shoot to have an immediate backup. And when I get back to the shop I make another copy and put it away. That way if one fails I am not down to only one backup which might get corrupted if the computer crashed while making another backup. Going tapeless can be pretty scary.
June 10, 2008 03:15PM
Chris Maher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok I got it on ebay, maybe shouldn't have but this
> seller takes returns. I plug the thing into my G5
> and while it shows up on desktop, can't drag
> anything onto it "the item cannot be moved
> because "LaCie" cannot be modified"
>
> anybody know what the heck is going on here?

Sounds like a permissions issue. You should be able to either 1) change the permissions of the drive or 2) you should be able to go ahead with the write/copy by entering in your password.
June 10, 2008 08:37PM
it works ok now that I used dick utility to reinitialize, had been set up for PC despite what seller said!
June 10, 2008 10:09PM

it works ok now that I used dick utility to reinitialize

I'm not gonna touch that one with a 10 ft pole...

June 10, 2008 10:35PM
Pole?

How long?

Or is it a Spinal Tap thing where " was changed to ' ? smoking smiley

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics