Music Video Organization

Posted by alden 
Music Video Organization
June 10, 2008 02:40PM
Any general advice for editing a music video? Five songs, shot with 3 different Cameras, one master audio file to use.

I'm thinking of laying down the audio below the master shot in the timeline, then plugging in the other angles as needed, but if anyone has done a faster or easier method, please let me know...

thanks!

www.aldenolmsted.com
Re: Music Video Organization
June 10, 2008 03:03PM
The old way (before multi-cam in FCP 5) was to lay each camera's clips on one track and the next one the next track below the first, etc.

If all the camera videos have audio on them then use the audio to sync the three tracks together before cutting. After syncing, turn off the camera audio and sync in the master audio track.

At this point you can use a blade cut at the intended edit points and make clip bladed , invisible so that the layer below shows as top.

OR

If the content was shot wisely, such as changing tapes at selected intervals and if you can discern a common timecode point, then use Make MultiClip by selecting the clips in the browser, first.
Re: Music Video Organization
June 10, 2008 04:17PM
> I'm thinking of laying down the audio below the master shot in the timeline, then plugging in
> the other angles as needed

Whichever method you use, Multiclip or otherwise, always make sure you have a "Sync Sequence" -- one sequence where all the audio and angles are synced up, with no edits whatsoever. Then you can edit the actual piece by making a duplicate of the Sync Sequence and then renaming it. Also, if you lose an angle or audio for an angle, then you just fly to the Sync Sequence, locate the missing piece with timecode, and voila.

This older thread might help -- comes with screen captures from my timeline when I edited a music video with about 50 different angles:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics