Exporting QT looks crummy

Posted by wordsworth 
Exporting QT looks crummy
June 11, 2008 06:16PM
I'm exporting a self contained QT file to make a dvd in either DVDStudio or Toast and while that system has always worked great for me, it's suddenly looking crummy.

The degraded picture is visible in my .mov file so it's obviously my export settings. The results are heavy artifacting, noisy and brighter picture which is washed out in places, and ghosting on the titles. The curious thing is, I've exported a number of drafts for this project and never had these problems before.

The project is 136 minutes long, 4:3 SD. I'm using current settings. The export is taking about 45minutes, which seems absurdly speedy. (I'm on FCP 6.1 and system 10.5.3 in case that matters)

If my "current settings" are the issue, I can't figure out what to change. I did try selecting the custom option when making the self contained file, and noticed that it was preselected to multimedia large instead of NTSC DV. Switched it back, but no change. My Sequence Settings are NTSC DV 4:3, Compressor: DV/DVCPro -NTSC.

My next step will be to try uncompressed 8bit, but the render time is saying 9 hours right now... so any suggestions would be welcomed.
Re: Exporting QT looks crummy
June 11, 2008 07:59PM
Did you change anything in between the earlier draft outputs and this one? upgrade FCP or Quicktime?

The 8-bit will look better (especially your titles) but yes, it will take a long time. The other option is to export straight to Compressor, set up your MPEG-2 settings and let 'er go overnight. Will still take a while and lock up FCP, but it won't render into DV compression first (which can be nasty).

But back to the QT Export nastiness: Are you exporting a regular SCQT, settings at 'Current', Recompress frames unchecked? You shouldn't be seeing that much degradation.

JK

June 11, 2008 10:51PM
Yup, regular export, settings at current, and recompress is unchecked. I'm absolutely puzzled.

The 8-bit uncompressed file ran out of disc space on a drive with 60gigs open.
That doesn't sound right either.
June 11, 2008 11:23PM
Where does it look crappy? Is High Quality checked in QuickTime settings? You say this problem is recent. Perhaps you turned off "Use high-quality video setting when available" by mistake?

www.derekmok.com
June 12, 2008 01:01AM
Okay back on track! Thanks so much for the help. I'll actually make my deadline thanks to you guys!

Not entirely sure what was going on but I trashed preferences using FCP Rescue, and also took Derek's suggestion and found that Use High Quality box was unchecked in Quicktime preferences.

The stand alone .mov file looks clean again.
Hopefully everything will go smoothly into DVDland now .

Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics