Can Final Cut Studio 2 run on a G4?

Posted by Eric Harnden 
Can Final Cut Studio 2 run on a G4?
June 12, 2008 06:53PM
Sorry if this has been discussed before but...

I have just been given advice from someone (whom I think knows what they are talking about) recommending getting a G4 laptop, while at the same time saying to get FCS2.

I have a G4, specs below in my signature. Would I be able to get FCS2 to run on my system? Is there a difference with a laptop that would allow it to run on it better?

And yes they are suggesting that it would be workable for editing HD (via HVX-200 P2 cards).

--
Eric Harnden
Quintessential Studios
---------------------------------
[wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net]
[twitter.com]
Re: Can Final Cut Studio 2 run on a G4?
June 12, 2008 07:32PM
Here's the answer

[www.apple.com]
June 12, 2008 07:38PM
Your stock Dual 1 Ghz display card will NOT run Motion or Color I will tell you that. I had a dual 1 Ghz and I had to purchase a stronger card. Not sure what card works these days.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 13, 2008 06:33AM
There is NO video card that will run Color on a G4! The ATI Rage Pro 9800 - 128 Mb card I have in my dual 1 Ghz system is the only card left for PCI-33 Mhz slots.

I have not tried to run FCS2 on the G4, It stopped at 5.1.4,
June 13, 2008 12:36PM
Power Mac G4 dual 1.42 GHz 2 Gigs upgraded video card to ATI 9600 PRO PC & Mac Edition 256 MB runs color although it won't break any speed records
June 13, 2008 01:18PM
They are minimum requirements for running the program. There will be features that you won't be able to take advantage of- 8 core rendering in Compressor, Color, capturing to ProRes. And unless you know specifically what your workflow is going to be, and it suits both your budget and kind of work, it's not going to be a versatile solution for the longer term.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 18, 2008 06:04PM
Well, I looked at my system a little more and I have this as my video setup:
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with two LaCie electron19blueIIIs.

As far as the processor speed, it says you need 1.25GHz or faster. Would a dual 1 work then?

I would love to buy the FCS2 upgrade if I can use it at all.

Going back and forth from FCP5 (at home) and FCP6 (at school) was a pain for my last class and I sure would like to avoid that for my next class.

Thanks, Eric

P.S. strypes, for the longer term, I eventually will get better hardware (read newer desktop or laptop) but for now, if FCP6 via FCS2 will work on what I have then that would be great. But I don't want to shell out for the program yet if I can't use it yet.

--
Eric Harnden
Quintessential Studios
---------------------------------
[wordpress.quintessentialstudios.net]
[twitter.com]
June 19, 2008 01:14PM
I work of at least dual G5s, but stuff seems to be popping up on the forums with slower processors- eg. dropped frames on exports, etc... And overloading your processors is never a good idea. New software on older architecture really isn't recommended. Color and Motion might be extremely crashy and rendering in Color will take quite long.

Final Cut Pro itself should be fine, as it's infrastructure is pretty old. Not sure about FXplugs.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics