FCS 6.0.3 users - Should we upgrade to QT 7.5?

Posted by wbraud 
FCS 6.0.3 users - Should we upgrade to QT 7.5?
June 13, 2008 08:38AM
Has anyone had issues upgrading FCS 6.0.3 with Quicktime 7.5. I'm always leary. THANKS.

Wallace Braud / Wallace Braud Production Services
Freelance Production . Post-Production Support
Director . DP/Cameraman . Editor
Re: FCS 6.0.3 users - Should we upgrade to QT 7.5?
June 13, 2008 08:56AM
If it ain't broke...wait for a guinea pig to break theirs first.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 13, 2008 09:02AM
Excellent Wisdom ! I'll hold off on the upgrade . . . especially since I'm in the middle of two projects. THANKS.

June 13, 2008 10:18AM
So far no issues on the G5, the MBP or the my new 8 Core 3Ghz with 8800...

There are actually less security flaws in this release than some of the older versions. Otherwise there isn't much to say about this release.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 13, 2008 10:25AM
THANKS for your feedback.

I love your Mark Twain quote.

- wallace

June 13, 2008 10:46AM
Yeah love MT....

"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat."

~ Mark Twain

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."

~ Mark Twain

I also love cats... tongue sticking out smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 13, 2008 04:37PM
I wish I had a photo of this:

A older gentleman in my old neighborhood used to take his cat for a walk on a leash.

He'd go a block or so, let the cat climb a tree. They'd stay there for awhile. Then he'd coax the cat down and move another block or so to another tree.

All on the leash.

deb
June 13, 2008 05:04PM
Maybe the cat grew up with dogs and was confused... or maybe it was the only way out of the house who knows some members of every species is a bit thick... tongue sticking out smiley

June 19, 2008 01:19PM
Larry Jordan says don't upgrade.

[www.larryjordan.biz]

I wonder if Apple will name QT X with dog names and Mac Pros after... Hamsters!

www.strypesinpost.com
June 19, 2008 04:45PM
That is going to be my plan of action until I see EVIDENCE that it's safe. THANKS. -- wallace

June 23, 2008 01:19PM
I like cats too.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing some of what MacFixit [from Larry Jordons Newsletter] attributes to upgrading to Quicktime 7.5 but I'm still running 7.4.5. I attribute it to FCP 6.0.3.

About a month ago I started noticing that as I clicked on clips in the browser window part of the window would disappear, it would just be solid gray. This would also happen in the effects window and I'd have to restart FCP after about an hour or so to get my menu's back.

I thought I might be having a problem with my graphics card, but this only happens in FCP 6.0.3 all other applications work fine. I have six other Mac Pros running 6.0.2 so I decided to upgrade one of them to see if it just might be that one system. Nope the second system starting having the same issues. Being the glutton for punishment that I am I upgraded a seldom used 17" MBP, same result.

However, if you double click on a clip in the timeline, directly manipulate it in the viewer, scale for example and pull the bounding box out of the area of the viewer it crashes, violently. What do I mean by violently? Well the entire screen went gray and there was no way to force quite. After holding in the power button to turn off the system it would not restart. After a few choice words I unplugged the Mac Pro then after plugging it back in it started up.

Since I don't use the MBP very often I decided to test it with the same result. Accept I can't get the MBP to boot up at all!!?

All of the systems I have upgraded to 6.0.3 are also running 10.4.11. I have not tried this with Leopard.
June 23, 2008 02:13PM
Am running the same version of FCP and OS X, running QT 7.4.5 on a G5 PowerMac Dual 2.0 and am not having ANY of those problems. It's running quite solidly actually. Must be a Mac Pro undocumented feature.

June 23, 2008 03:30PM
Chuck

Is there any reason you haven't upgraded to Leopard?

You could try that on the MBP that doesn't work and see if it revives it.

It does sound like another issue with your OS and not an FCP/QT issue - unless you are the first person in the Mac X world to get a virus!

June 23, 2008 04:55PM
It sure behaves like a virus, it also acts a bit like a memory leak.

I have seven Mac Pro's sharing data on a 30TB FiberJet SAN, two of the systems have been upgraded to Leopard and are not playing well with the others. The Leopard machines continually drop the Fiber connection to the SAN and also continually drop network connections requiring the Tiger systems to reboot to see the Leopard machines. The connection to the SAN I can live with, afterall its a third party application.

There are things I really like about Leopard but I need the file system and network to be rock solid. Another thing I have noticed although I have not delved too deeply into this, is that I actually got Q-Master working well in 10.4.11 but in Leopard its dog slow.

Regarding the MBP, I'm able to boot it up from the startup DVD but it won't startup from the hard drive. I ran disk utility, it sees the drive but can't repair it. I keep getting volume error messages. I guess its possible that the drive coincidentally failed at the same time I was checking out 6.0.3...

There's some data I want to try and recover before wiping the disk for a clean install in which case I probably will go to Leopard.

I hope they come out with 6.0.4 soon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics