Which Display?

Posted by seymore 
Which Display?
June 15, 2008 12:29PM
Im looking to upgrade my display this year.

So all you Final Cut Pro types, any suggestions? Looking at the Apple 23", or any of the 24" like Samsung, etc.

Any observations and suggestions and 1st hand experiences are very welcome.
Thank you.
Re: Which Display?
June 15, 2008 01:16PM
I like mine big and Apple, but I can work with the smaller LG ones... And I like my set up to come in twos- can't cut off a single screen display.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 15, 2008 04:32PM
Forum Search (white box top left of the forum). Type in "display" & click "SEARCH".

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 15, 2008 06:05PM
I've heard enthusiastic recommendations of Dell displays, but I haven't used one myself. I can tell you I had an absolutely appalling with two twin Samsung displays earlier this year. I pitched such a fit that my engineer finally took them away and replaced then with two Apple 23s, with which I've been incredibly happy ever since.
June 16, 2008 10:09AM
I like the Apple 23"-- gives you the option of using that MXO2 box which turns it into broadcast legal display for color correction, et al.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 16, 2008 10:50AM
I have the Dell 2405s and love them. The 2408s are what the current models are.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 16, 2008 12:25PM
Great observations all. Its seems that the Apple and the Dell from what I can tell are the most popular. At least in the sub $1000 range. The Apple version for $900 should be good, the question is, at about twice the price, is it twice as good ??

The other obvious question is...... are we due to see Apple rev their display line this year or not?
A new 24" Apple with updated specs and a couple new I/O/s and a built in camera would be good.
Now THAT I could pay for.
Who knows where that revision is, perhaps the same place as Blu Ray. LOL !!!!!

Keep it coming and thanks again.
June 16, 2008 04:47PM
I just got a Dell 2407 off Ebay. The monitor is sweet! Plus it is brand new, never been used and can get them for under 500 bucks and that included shipping plus knowing it has a 3 year warranty from Dell.
June 16, 2008 08:10PM
Since the price difference for two monitors is only about $1,000, it's worth considering whether your clients will have any conscious or subconscious opinions. Say what you want about the Dell's, the Apple Cinema Displays are just dead sexy. Will you be giving your clients a better impression by putting the Apple displays on your console? After all, $1,000 is probably less than you (or your post house) paid for the couch in your suite.

Of course if you're a freelancer who works mostly unsupervised, then appearances don't matter one bit. Balance what you like versus what's most economical for you.
June 16, 2008 08:56PM

the Apple Cinema Displays are just dead sexy.

Form over function (and paying more $$$)? I'll take the twin Dells any day. All our suites have twin Dells and no mention of how ugly they are. If the client walks out because your monitors aren't sexy enough, you're probably better off without them eye rolling smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 17, 2008 03:22AM
if you work @ 25 f/s Apple display is mandatory over Dell

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
June 17, 2008 06:19AM
I don't disagree with the "if the client judges you by your monitors, find a better client" sentiment, at least not in principle. For instance if we were talking about monitors that look really cool but work poorly versus ones that look plain or cheap but work well, duh, go with the ones that work well. But I think the consensus of opinion is that both Apple's and Dell's displays are good, and the price difference isn't that much, so it's at least worth taking a moment to consider whether the aesthetics are worth a little capital investment to make your suite look cooler.

It might not be. I'm not saying it definitely is. I'm just saying it's one more thing to consider.

Francois, why do you say the Apple is better than the Dell for 25 fps? I ask because I work exclusively in 23.976 these days, and I'm wondering if I dodged a bullet by buying Cinema Displays.
June 17, 2008 07:37AM
I mean with the Matrox Mxo (mentioned above) in 50Hz territories.

I wonder why nobody here cares about the Eizo Monitors.
Not even shows up with a search on the whole forum

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
June 17, 2008 03:32PM
Apple 30" - I might have a chance to pit up an Apple 30" for around $700 .. Mint cond. Im thinking its a tad big however .. LOL !!!
June 17, 2008 03:34PM
Thats PICK UP ..... just learned how to type this week ........
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics