need to use music from movie soundtrack in project

Posted by ajmax 
need to use music from movie soundtrack in project
June 18, 2008 11:19PM
I know this is not the place but can someone guide or point me in the right direction?
Can anyone tell me where I can get information on using music from a motion picture soundtrack for a project I am working on?
Where do I go to get permission or pay for it?
Thanks

R
Re: need to use music from movie soundtrack in project
June 19, 2008 06:33AM
At the risk of contributing to the this-is-not-the-placeness, I can tell you that the hardest part of licensing music is determining who owns it. Do you want to use a piece of an original motion-picture score, or just a song that happened to appear on a movie soundtrack? In the first case, the score is almost certainly owned by the copyright holder of the film (check the tiny print at the end of the credits), but in the second case, the odds are fair that the movie producers just licensed that song from the owner themselves.

On the off chance that you're not absolutely married to this music and will consider other options, I can tell you that the APM guys are a dream to work with, and offer non-exclusive licenses for needledrop for pretty reasonable fees. Just in case you end up having to look somewhere else.
June 19, 2008 08:53AM
...hope you can pay...because if it's in a major motion picture, you will pay dearly.

Try here:

[www.bmi.com]

...and have a pillow handy to scream into.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 19, 2008 09:31AM
In fact it is serious. A friend of mine works for a very famous and legendary punk rock band and their phone rings 50 times a day and a snippet of said band goes for £1000 per minute. If it is not for broadcast use but do not get caught.
June 19, 2008 09:38AM
Audionetworks.net -very high quality tracks, fees vary depending on useage and blanket licenses are available...
June 19, 2008 10:36AM
How about ASCAP???
would that help me in this situation?
June 19, 2008 10:42AM
Probably not, if what you're trying to license is a work-for-hire. If the music we're talking about was composed as part of an original score, then it was almost certainly a work-for-hire, and the exclusive rights are owned by whomever holds the rights to the work the score was a part of. If that makes sense.
June 19, 2008 11:11AM
> Probably not, if what you're trying to license is a work-for-hire.

I'm not sure about that. When licensing music there are always two components: Master rights and sync rights. Master rights pertain to the actual recording of the piece. If you're using the soundtrack recording in your cut and wish to retain that exact recording, then you'll have to pay the record company the master rights.

Sync rights pertain to using that musical composition -- the arrangement of the notes. For example, one cheaper way to get that piece of music into your film is to hire a musician to re-record it. Then you'll only have to deal with sync rights. For example, if you want to re-record "Prospectors Quartet" from There Will Be Blood to use for your own film, you'll have to deal with Jonny Greenwood's publisher -- on the CD it reads Paramount Allegra Music (ASCAP) -- and get permission to license the composition for re-recording. If you're re-recording Thomas Newman's "Dead Already" (American Beauty), that one reads Songs of SKG (BMI) as the publisher.

Greenwood's work-for-hire agreement probably does not negate his royalties as a composer; it just means the film had certain rights to use the music, whatever was outlined in Greenwood's agreement with the production company. I doubt that most composers would sign away all their own publishing rights to their own composition (Lennon-McCartney and ATV Publishing, anyone?). If Greenwood had signed away all his rights, then he wouldn't get paid for the CD score album; only the company would. I doubt that's the case.

Here Michael Horton would remind us that none of us is a copyright expert. The above information is passed on from what I got from taking classes with an entertainment lawyer. But for dealing with licensing either an original recording or just the composition, I'd probably advise getting a music supervisor who has connections. It's very hard to do this without the right person to steer you through. Bottom line: Don't take what you're reading here as gospel truth. Get somebody who does this (secure copyrighted music) professionally.

www.derekmok.com
June 19, 2008 11:25AM
People I know who have tried to license music for their production have described the experience as an expensive nightmare. One paid a considerable amount for what he and his lawyer were sure were the rights to use the music, and still got sued, because, as Jeff mentioned above, it's often difficult to determine who actually owns the music.

ACAP and BMI license only the rights to the composition of the music, not the performance of the artists. Once you secure the ASCAP/BMI rights, you still need to secure the performance by the musicians.

If you want to use the particular piece for your production because you like the style of the music, you would be well served to use either library music, or have original music composed for your project. Original work is often considerably less expensive than licening existing soundtracks.

There are some companies that have set up systems to license music for productions - check google for "music licensing" and http://www.musiclicensingstore.com/ and http://www.harryfox.com

Good Luck

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
June 19, 2008 12:27PM
Regarding the "work for hire" comment. I have worked on DVD extras for several feature film re-issues and we certainly had to deal with getting permission from and paying the original film composer even though it was as much as a decade later. This was for using the original score in the DVD extras.

You can't be too careful with music licensing. If you are looking to license high profile material you need either 1. Big Bucks or 2. a very good negotiator who can sweet talk the license holders into a low cost deal.

Really, if you don't have the bucks you need to look at library music or hiring a musician to re-perform.

I worked on a corporate project where the client wanted to use an Aerosmith song. Aerosmith was amenable but the cost was $100,000. However, they were willing to sell just the necessary re-performance rights for $10,000. So we hired a composer and he did it on his Powerbook with Digital Performer and some friends to fill out the vocals. Paid him $5000 for that. Not as good as the original but the guy still did a pretty good job and the client was happy.
June 19, 2008 01:17PM
another option is "sound alikes" . they are songs crafted to be as near the real thing as legally possible. some come closer than others, but its usually at least in the same ballpark vibe-wise. and depending on use, its usually only a couple hundred bucks.

is it perfect? no.
is it close enough compared to the cost and effort to license the real thing - HELL YES!
June 19, 2008 01:31PM
Is it cheaper to hire a composer?
June 19, 2008 02:13PM
> Is it cheaper to hire a composer?

Well, if you're trying to hire John Williams, no. But if you're hiring lower-level composers, yes. Musicians are all over the place, looking for breaks.

Using a composer to do "sound-alikes" -- ie. trying to draw from a pre-existing piece of temp music -- has ups and downs. The upside is that you could end up with a piece close to the synergy of what you had when you edited the scene. The downside is that many composers who work at this level have problems: They could get "stuck" on their own ideas, which may not fit the scene; they could try so hard to cop the reference music that the end product is a pale imitation of the original. And many composers at this level have never scored a film or taken notes from a director, and many composers have misguided ideas where they try to convey the entire emotional spectrum of the film in the music -- and the music jars painfully with the film.

I worked with one filmmaker who had a composer who did some music that was exactly like that for one comedy -- he had this string-laden, weepy, "heartfelt" music for the end of the film, but the film is a goofy comedy. The director and I gave him several rounds of notes, but he was "stuck" on his initial ideas. But on the next film we did, I talked to the composer directly and he wasn't stuck at all -- understood and applied the notes just fine. So it also had to do with the director not having a clear grasp on what kind of music worked, or not being able to talk to the composer in terms that the composer could understand. Plus, equipment matters -- another film's music budget went through the roof because, shockingly, the composer didn't have his own recording setup -- which meant hiring an engineer and a guitar player for every draft of the music. Ouch!

In general, unless you have the money and access, it's still better to take a chance on a composer than to get copyrighted music. The amount of money you have to pay to get copyrighted music could probably have financed four or five different composers to take a whack at writing original stuff. Make sure the composer has his own rig and can produce usable music files/CDs, though.

www.derekmok.com
June 20, 2008 11:06PM
thanks guys,,,
i better just stick to
killer tracks or video helper,,,,

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics