Standard Font Size for End Credits

Posted by hanguolaohu 
Standard Font Size for End Credits
June 20, 2008 01:46PM
Hi,

I have a graphics designer making end credits for my film, but the credits are running too long. I was wondering is there a standard font size for credits? Ours are currently size 30, papyrus, which I feel is too big. Any info much appreciated!

Thanks,
Alexander
Re: Standard Font Size for End Credits
June 20, 2008 02:41PM
Aside from major creidts, endscrolls aren't really meant to be crystal-clear, especially on SD video. But Papyrus is not only a cheesy font that I don't recommend for any kind of professional work, it's also very wispy, not solid, and hard to make it visible unless you make it big. I'd say go with Helvetica Neue, Arial, Tahoma or Impact, shrink the size dramatically and see. If you really want an ethnic lilt to the endscroll, use a florid "ethnic" font only on headings.

www.derekmok.com
June 20, 2008 03:16PM
I second Derek's comments. Papyrus is to be used sparingly if at all.
June 20, 2008 03:49PM
Don't think there's a standard font size as long as it's readable, doesn't flicker too much and looks organized.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 20, 2008 08:23PM
Yeah, a good solid font can easily be set to 20 point or even smaller. I quite like ITC Franklin Gothic as well. Looka nice in italics on lower thirds.

June 20, 2008 10:56PM
SD rules of thumb going back many moons into film titling, which I did professionally as part of my edit skillset:

40-50 characters a line, depending upon font and letter compression, at about 18-22 points.

12-14 characters per line-- always check your choice against title safe.

Avoid ornate fonts unless very large, over 24 points. Be prepared to thicken delicate stepsn and feet to hold up against grain (or pixels).

Avoid fonts with tiny counters (the insides of a's, e's, etc, which tend to fill in)-- boldface fonts are suspect. I learned this the hard way.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 21, 2008 01:12AM
Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the info! Derek as always hits fast and furious when it comes to titles. And despite what everyone says, I LOVE Papyrus as it fits the theme of my film, which is about the Shaolin Temple perfectly. I know the font is overused, but that's cause it has a flavor that I cannot find in other fonts. If there are other exotic fonts that are better than Papyrus please let me know.

Thanks,
Alexander
June 21, 2008 01:47AM
We say Papyrus is off-limits because it's a default font on most standard consumer computers...so every Jack, Jill, Harry and Surinder on the planet thinks it's oh-so-ethnic and throw it on. Copperplate, Papyrus, Zapfino, Chalkboard and Brush Script are some of the ones that are also done to death. If you think Papyrus has the flavour you want, so do 50,000 other amateur videographers, which automatically makes your film seem more amateurish to other people. A musician friend of mine tried to design her own album art against my advice, and what did she pick? Papyrus. Immediately her album art screamed "Do-It-Yourselfer". When I talked her down from that, what did she end up with? Copperplate. Real fast way to make people notice that you didn't hire a real designer and didn't want to cough up the dough for more customized fonts.

www.derekmok.com
June 21, 2008 04:26PM
go to veer.com or fontshop.com and search for fonts there. you WILL find something WAY better than papyrus.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics