PPC-to-Intel

Posted by wgazecki 
PPC-to-Intel
June 21, 2008 03:58AM
Hi-
I apologize if this is a redundant question. I thought I already knew the answer, but now I am unsure.

I'm running FCS II, 6.0.3. on a PPC. When switching from PPC to Intel, do I need to get a different version, or is the one I have universal?

Thanks,
Wm
Re: PPC-to-Intel
June 21, 2008 04:11AM
Works for both

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 22, 2008 08:26AM
Regarding your other data...

I had a few issues with migration assistant going from PPC to Intel so would advocate a fresh install of all apps & settings - it mostly went well and was no obvious issues with the pro-apps but a few other apps acted a bit funny so to be on the safe side I reformatted and started a fresh.

...should of booked 3 days out to do it though!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 22, 2008 02:34PM

a few other apps acted a bit funny

NO MIGRATION!!! Take your time and do fresh installs all around! Your sanity will remain intact - I promise...

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 22, 2008 02:43PM
Well I gotta tell you I've never done a fresh install on my system to date.

The G5 still has files from my G3 and Mac OS 9, through G4 and every Mac OS X til Leopard. Its still working solidly.

I also don't suffer from any of the issues that many people talk about. However migration to Intel I would have to agree with you.

So most of the apps are installed. Just gotta get all the updates!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 22, 2008 04:27PM
Thanks to you all. Answered all my conerns. I definitely plan to do a fresh format/install on all apps.

Any thoughts on whether I should upgrade to Leapoard or not? Seems like I probably should, although I've heard there are stability issues?

Thanks again,
William
June 22, 2008 05:32PM

Well I gotta tell you I've never done a fresh install on my system to date.

...which is why you have "a few apps that acted a bit funny" winking smiley

Some people have better luck with migration than others...but more end up with squirrely issues than not.

Leopard flat out rocks. Go for it.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 22, 2008 09:19PM
lol yeah go on rub it in... it was worth the test to see if the migration worked.

Overall it did - it was actually a new Game I bought - Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and iStat Menu that failed to work or work correctly respectively after the migration.

FCS and all the Adobe apps worked without any issue.

Leopard is a great OS - I've got Vista on a separate 1TB HDD on my MacPro and I have to feel sorry for PC users whilst its prettier than MS Windows 98 its not even as good as Panther...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics