USB editing ...still a no-no?

Posted by wordsworth 
USB editing ...still a no-no?
June 29, 2008 02:51PM
Is USB2 still a no-no even for just editing standard DV?

I've always used FW Oxford chipsets, but the cheap cases are drying up, and my mac doesn't have SATA or even eSata capabilities so I wouldn't mind being able to use USB2 cases to juggle material.
I get the sense that it's workable for editing/archiving DV, but not direct capture, and I'm wondering if that matches the experiences with some of the rulebreakers on this forum?
Re: USB editing ...still a no-no?
June 29, 2008 02:56PM
ive seen lots of folks do it (USB 2.0 only of course) on windows with premiere. but never heard any success on a mac in FCP.

get you an esata pci card - theyre cheap! and you'll really enjoy the performance.
June 29, 2008 05:01PM
I wish, but I'm cutting on a Macbook for the time being.
June 29, 2008 06:20PM
ok, then get you an esata EXPRESS CARD...
June 29, 2008 06:34PM
USB 2 is lame. I would go with a FW800 Express34 card (Macbook) for DV only and use the motherboard ports for ingest (must split the buses for performance) - it will be more flexible. Try switching your eSATA hard drive to a machine that doesn't have aSATA = oops, you're screwed. No machines come with eSATA ports from the factory. All the new Macs come with 2 FW800 ports.

That's my 2¢ grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 29, 2008 08:10PM
Oh wow, both those options were ones I wasn't aware of. Thanks Wayne, and Joe.

(oh wait, that's because they're not options for a macbook. no pci slot. using a macbook, not a macbook pro)
June 29, 2008 08:25PM
My bad...missed that grinning smiley

Well, there's a FW400 port on the machine and that's PLENTY (quicker & more stable that USB) to edit DV only. Most external arrays these days have the multi-port option (FW800 / FW400 / USB) so you should be good.

June 30, 2008 05:49PM
wayne granzin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok, then get you an esata EXPRESS CARD...

I heartily second this solution. Sata is much more Robust that Firewire for capturing and editing.

I use a 2 port eSATA card from Firmtek and two 500 GB drives on my MacBook Pro for remote editing.
June 30, 2008 06:28PM
John,

Macbooks don't have card slots. FW400 is as good as it gets. He's DV only anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics