Corrupting Projects

Posted by gene05 
Corrupting Projects
June 30, 2008 10:37PM
I hope you all are doing well and loving your job and life. I have a G5 2.0ghz 4gig ram computer that I has been corrupting projects and we were losing work. We wiped all the drives and reinstalled the OS on a new internal drive that we bought. And reinstalled Final Cut 5.1 because we have been cutting a 450 hour documentary on FCP 5.1. Then this morning I shut down my project left for five minutes and came back and the problem was back. The project wouldn't open. Corrupt project. We have not been having fun at www.takedownsandfalls.com TDAF for short We are getting frustrated. Let me know if anyone agrees but I think the computer may be causing the problem.

We are using G-Raid E-Sata Drives also we spend the weekend and erased the those drives also. All our drives have been erased and media put back on.

Any Advice Greatly Appreciated
Eugene Gordon
Asst. Editor
Re: Corrupting Projects
June 30, 2008 10:45PM
Unfortunately the problem you're describing has a really long list of causes. Any way you can possibly move the drives to another computer to check them? What message do you get when the project file fails to open? How large is the project file? Do the Autosave Vault versions of the file open? What about manual backups?

First thing I'd do is to copy the project file (the one that refuses to open) and copy it to an internal drive. Now dismount all your other drives -- the drives containing the media -- and disconnect their cables as well. Try opening the project file from the internal drive and see if it will open.

www.derekmok.com
June 30, 2008 11:01PM
Are you using and stills (photos, graphics) that are CMYK or greyscale? This can cause problems. Also, check that nothing (drives, files, anything) has a / or a * or ? in its name. Numbers and spaces and underscores only.

June 30, 2008 11:09PM
The messages we get vary from the project is to new for this version of FCP, this project is un-readable, and the last on is the project is it just crashes FCP when it opens it.

We do constantly back up that is the way as the asst. and the director and I we have keep from really losing work.

In autosave it usually takes 3 or 4 projects to open the project. That is why we have been back up everyday to thumbnail drives. still these project do not always save the day sometimes they have.

So if some of our media is corrupt how can you pinpoint the problem?
June 30, 2008 11:19PM
What is the name of the project file? What drive location?

www.derekmok.com
June 30, 2008 11:32PM
We work on 4 main projects on this computer
TDAF_States-Todd

and

States Day One, States Day Two, States Day Three

All of our media is on the GRaid E Sata Drives

We made a Render Hole where all our Auto Saves, Renders, go to on an external hard drive but we don't render really are still syncing and just cutting things out for the lead. Only autosaving.
June 30, 2008 11:37PM
Quoted text
also, check that nothing (drives, files, anything) has a / or a * or ? in its name. Numbers and spaces and underscores only.

FCP Projects and Quciktime Media? on drives
June 30, 2008 11:47PM
> Only autosaving.

But you *are* saving the project file itself, right?
Your answers are a bit too abbreviated to get a good picture. Maybe try taking a screen capture of your system with the pertinent folders open so we can take a look.

www.derekmok.com
July 01, 2008 12:10AM
I will Do a screen grab
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics