New FCP Monitors: Suggestions?

Posted by Mike Watson 
New FCP Monitors: Suggestions?
July 21, 2008 03:08PM
Hi all,

I'm spec-ing out a new FCP system, from the ground up. It'll be a dual 3.0 Quad-Core, with the NVidia GeForce 8800 GT graphics card.

I'm now onto displays.

I was considering getting two of the Dell 24" displays (we have several in use right now and are happy with them), but I find a Dell 27" display for $100 more. (The Dell 2707WFP.)

I haven't really had my ear to the ground for hardware reviews, and haven't heard much about this display.

Any thoughts from here? Will my 8800 drive two of these 27" displays?

Mike Watson
Re: New FCP Monitors: Suggestions?
July 21, 2008 04:04PM
the trouble with the 27" Dells is the resolution is still the same as the 24" - to my eye it looks more pixelated...

If you can stretch to a 30" Dell or Apple then I cant recommend them enough - 2560x1600 is much better to work on than even 2x 1920x1200 Monitors

I have an 30" ACD and its just soooo much nicer than the Dell 24" (even the ultra sharp ones) but it is quite a bit more costly!

Thats my opinion...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 21, 2008 04:09PM
If it were between one 30" and two 24"s, which would you do?
July 21, 2008 05:05PM
No brainer = 2 - 24"s

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 21, 2008 05:59PM
I love Joey but we disagree on this one - 1x30" with a 2560x1600 resolution - I can get a 2K image on the screen in 1:1 (which you cannot on a 24"winking smiley or an HD 1920x1080 image with space for tools/menus.

If you aren't sure - try to have a play on a system with both - maybe your local retailer or Apple Store might be able to help you out there.

Once you have 30" of gorgeous loveliness you won't want anything smaller winking smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 21, 2008 06:56PM
I don't deal with 2K images...not many people do. I have two Dell 2405s, and one Apple 23" Cinema Display...the dells are better, and cheaper, and have more connections.

If you are dealing with 2K, then get a 30". Otherwise get 2x24 and get more real estate for less money.

And Go Dell.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 21, 2008 07:02PM
Ah Bennie...we do disagree on this one...

The 1920x1080 image fits on one monitor by itself at a perfectly acceptable 50% (how many people besides you works at 1:1 in 1920x1080? C'mon...winking smiley) and 720p @ 100% (more popular format) with another full monitor for the entire app. It's more real estate with less of a drain on your video card.

We will agree to disagree on this one forever grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 22, 2008 02:13AM
I was going to start a new thread but noticed someone is already discussing this topic.

I'm currently using an 30" apple cinema display and wanted to get an additional monitor for mirroring video when i'm working with final cut or for after effects palettes

I'm getting pretty confused about the offerings right now when doing some initial research. It seems like panels made by the same manufacturers used in various end products are rated with different specs. For example the NEC monitors i was looking at (LCD2490WUXi or LCD2690WUXi) show different specs in some areas then the LaCie 324 LCD Monitor which uses a NEC panel.

I know manufacturers will use different measuring criteria to adjust numbers to their liking. What are the top 2 or 3 displays popular right now that are basically in the same price and quality range as the apple 23 cinema displays ?

I prefer the monitor not be Dell, i despise them with a passion based on past quality and customer service. But if they have something that no one has i would consider it (and stick a black piece of tape over the logo).

Any tips would be great, thanks in advance.

PS: Many people that work with visual fx work 1:1 on HD and 2k. Many things can't be previewed correctly at 50% size. I had the same choice to make a while back. Dual 23's or a 30". I picked the 30" and have a 19" CRT beside it which is the monitor i want the replace right now. Dual 30's would be nice but that would mean I also have to get a bigger tablet so it can span over that many pixels. I"m also concerned that the moment i get another 30" an upgraded technology will come out. less of a concern with an under $1200 display.
July 22, 2008 03:28AM
Drink the KoolAid-- it's tough to avoid the ACD's. Two Apple 30"-er's is nirvana in the extreme. Desktop preview on one, edit on the other.

The MXO2 from Matrox is supposed to turn one of two ACD 23"ers into a gamma-correct display so you don't have to buy a client bottle on a forklift to view HD.

I'm building my shopping list too...

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
July 22, 2008 04:38AM
anybody experienced Eizo monitors ?

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
July 22, 2008 09:12AM
Perhaps if you are looking for a second monitor to double as a reference display you might look at a couple new developments.

First, the JVC reference monitors like the DT-V24L1DU for which JVC has just released calibration software.
[provideocoalition.com]

Or the HP Dreamcolor monitor which just started shipping a month ago. This is a collaboration between HP and Dreamworks to develop a reference grade monitor that was affordable enough to have one at every artist's workstation.

[www.slashgear.com]

Both monitors are approx $3300-$3500 but that is a bargain if they work as advertised. Personally, I talked to a JVC salesman about using their monitor for reference and he was sort of reluctant to endorse it for that, but that was before the calibration software.

My only question about the Dreamcolor monitor would be if it displays interlaced material as interlaced and does not force everything into progressive. The JVC has HD-SDI. The HP has the usual computer connections but no HD-SDI.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics