Dissolve Factory

Posted by videodave 
Dissolve Factory
July 25, 2008 11:55AM
Hello!
I am new to Final Cut and have been doing a lot of research about plug ins. I came across one called Dissolve Factory by Buena. They were bought out and it is no longer available. Does any one know where I can get it? Thanks, Dave
Re: Dissolve Factory
July 25, 2008 12:25PM
Curious...why would you want a plug-in that has been discontinued and will not be updated? It probably wouldn't run on new OS's anyway.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 25, 2008 07:00PM
I know it sound kinda dumb. I just liked the way it worked and thought maybe I could get some use from it.
July 27, 2008 02:00PM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Curious...why would you want a plug-in that has
> been discontinued and will not be updated?

Same reason people use Shake, it meets a need.

>It probably wouldn't run on new OS's anyway.

It may or may not, but this sounds like an ignorant assumption based on no evidence or understanding about product being asked about.
July 27, 2008 05:34PM
Ouch...ignorant...? Right back atcha if you compare this plug-in to Shake - a major app still used in the Film & TV industry. Yeah it's EOL, but Shake is so important to some shops that they are willing to stay with their current machine set ups that run it. Any "Dissolve Factory" users out there hanging on to their PPC's to keep it running? I'll bet the house not. You won't find a single active "Dissolve Factory" forums on the internet either and we got a Shake forum right here on the LAFCPUG winking smiley

Not so ignorant...more like an educated guess being that from what I was able to find out this plug-in was pre-Intel which means no workie-workie on new Macs. Kinda tough to do any research when the developer's website is gone and the last write up was 3 years ago, there Wes...but I have some sources. Did you know DigiEffects purchased Buena Software June 25th, 2007? Would you like to hear some specs?

About Dissolve Factory
System Requirements:
OS 10.1.5 or later (no mention of Intel)
After Effects 5.5 or later
FCP 3 or later

Windows 98. Millennium Edition, 2000 or XP
After Effects 5 or later

You can bet tha ranch "or later" does not include Intel machines.

I am currently working with the guy that purchased Buena so more to come on this. Thanks for the jab though, Mr. P eye popping smiley

July 27, 2008 05:51PM
Sorry if you took my reply has a harsh criticism, it wasn't intended as a slap. I was just trying to point out that the OP may have lots of good reasons to ask what he was asking. Your curt reply suggested to me that you didn't know much about the plug-in, I'm sorry for being wrong.

And yes, I knew that DF's IP is now owned by DigiEffects, Darrin sold it first to Toolfarm then TF sold it to DE. Did you know that?

You wrote about the plug-in that it "has been discontinued and will not be updated", which is true. This is also true for Shake, so the comparison is perfectly reasonable. There are even some out there hanging onto Elastic Reality and Commotion licenses.

So let's settle the issue of does it work or not on a current system, I should have does this before...

Version 1.02 (the version I have) does not appear to work with FCP 6 in OS 10.5.4. I installed both the Quicktime component and the After Effects plug-in.

So you were right in surmising it wouldn't work, I wish I'd had the information about your research in the beginning.

To the OP: Lobby Robert at DigiEffects to bring back DF, it was a cool set of transitions.
July 27, 2008 05:57PM

And yes, I knew that DF's IP is now owned by DigiEffects, Darrin sold it first to Toolfarm then TF sold it to DE. Did you know that?

Yes I did. The Sharp brothers get around.

To the OP: Lobby Robert at DigiEffects to bring back DF, it was a cool set of transitions.

That's who I am working with. I am on the BETA Test Team for DigiEffect's new Simulate: Camera plug-in and I sent him an email inquiry about Dissolve Factory. More to come...

Peace

July 27, 2008 06:54PM
UPDATE:

DigiEffect discontinued Dissolve Factory immediately upon purchasing Buena Software. There are no plans for rejuvenation. I just heard it from the horses mouth.

The only plug-ins DigiEffects carried on are Buena Effects Pack (as a Legacy Product) & Buena Depth Cue:

[www.digieffects.com]

[www.digieffects.com]

July 27, 2008 07:18PM
Thanks for all the great info guys. I had no idea I would start all this fuss about a plug in!! But it's great to see everyone helping out. I am starting one to one training at the local Apple store for Final Cut so I am really looking forward to the new experience.

Dave
July 27, 2008 07:47PM
Good luck Dave. There are plenty of spectacular plug-ins for FCP that, if you hang around here long enough, you will hear about them all. Here's a nice list we've compiled in our FAQ WIKI:

Where can I get plug-ins for FCP?

Before posting any questions, check our FAQ WIKI...you will probably find your answer in there (click on FAQ WIKI graphic next to my signature... smiling smiley)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics