SpyWare

Posted by Delphinus 
SpyWare
August 03, 2008 06:39PM
This may not seem like a FCP question, but I have a SpyWare infection that I can't get rid of and am worried it may start to affect other programs like FCP. I bought MacScan and ran it five times on all files and the SpyWare still affects some of my websites. Do you know of a program that will definitely remove it.

I get a window (titled JavaScript) that says:

<85.255.119.146>

Windows is scanning your system for threats. The scanning is provided by our official partner WinspywareProtect. We recommend you install the full version of Winsywareprotect scaner to monitor your PC for threats and on-time security systemupdates.

Any ideas or effective programs on how to get rid of this? I am on OS X 10.4.11.
Thanks.
Re: SpyWare
August 03, 2008 06:43PM
I'm assuming you're getting that while on the internet? If so just quit out of your browser and don't go back to that site for awhile. And don't double click the exe file that might have downloaded to your desktop. Just trash it.

If you do that all is good.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 03, 2008 07:26PM
> Windows is scanning your system for threats. The scanning is provided by our official partner
> WinspywareProtect. We recommend you install the full version of Winsywareprotect scaner to
> monitor your PC for threats and on-time security systemupdates.

Almost all of those "You have been infected" messages are bogus. It would tell you that you're running Windows XP and you've been infected by XYZ. The thing is, they aren't actually scanning your system -- they're just putting Windows XP because many people would actually be using Windows XP. The link they provide you for whatever "antivirus" software they're recommending is more likely to be the harmful link.

www.derekmok.com
August 03, 2008 07:32PM
im with derek. thats very, VERY likely a B.S. pop up that has zero technical merit and is just trying to sell you something you dont need.
August 03, 2008 07:48PM
It's a bunch of HOOEY.

1st of all...you don't have a PC. 2nd - you don't have Windows (unless you are running Boot Camp and you didn't tell us). 3rd, if anything with the suffix .exe is on your machine / in your email or downloading from a website, stop it & delete immediately - you don't need it on a Mac.

You don't need any spyware on a Mac...just don't click on what you don't know about (especially cleverly worded spam emails that get you to look). The LAST thing you do when they ask you to click on anything is actually CLICK ON ANYTHING.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 03, 2008 07:58PM
And I'm pretty sure that legitimate technological companies that actually do sell useful product would not be allowed to advertise in this way. They can't scan your computer without your permission (for example, when Yahoo mail scans your attachments, it has to say it's using Norton and you have to agree in order for the scan to go through). So whatever company, website etc. uses those "You've been infected" messages are probably all scam entities.

www.derekmok.com
August 03, 2008 09:53PM
Yeah. It's advertising, not an actual problem on your computer.

August 05, 2008 09:11AM
I would probably dump all the cookies in your browser. I had that problem with a dating site that popped up out of the blue every time I went to Yahoo. You can also block pop ups in your browser.
August 05, 2008 10:23AM
Ah. I just had this "Antispywaremaster" thing on my Safari Browser. Seems like what's confounding is that this thing pops up on websites...but isn't infecting the website; it's buried in your web browser. I got this message on Yahoo mail, quit Safari immediately, and then got it again right when I relaunched Safari and went to Google to look up this name to see what kind of hoax/virus/phish this is.

And even worse, the message it gives you "Install Antispywaremaster...Cancel/OK" is phony -- clicking "Cancel" will take you to their website. Unlike most hoaxes of this kind, this one takes over your browser, resizes the window and kicks you off whatever site you were on previously.

And yes, this damn thing installs cookies into your preferences. I fire-bombed my Cookies and haven't seen it recur. Yet.

They're certainly getting more aggressive with their spamming, phishing etc.

www.derekmok.com
August 05, 2008 11:11AM
My experience with these things is to not go back to the site for a day or so. Then it seems to be gone. Have not had to trash cookies.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics