Font Choice for video

Posted by PhillyFilmmaker 
Font Choice for video
August 07, 2008 11:32AM
hello,
I'm using the American Typewriter font for the beginning of a video and it looks terrible on export!
What else can I use besides Arial Black? (I've been using Arial black for most bc it doesnt look jagged after export)

Also, is there an export setting I can use tht will give the best possible quality? Ive been using Uncompressed 8-bit NTSC 48 kHz. (read about using it in an article somewhere)
It works pretty well and the font titles have come out so much better.
Re: Font Choice for video
August 07, 2008 01:11PM
Hi,

Stay away from sarif fonts for video.

In addition to Arial Black, try Impact or Copperplate Bold. Those two fonts also work well for video.

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
August 07, 2008 01:21PM
Impact is great, but in my view, Copperplate tends to put your video/print designs firmly in the amateur world. As do Papyrus, Zapfino and Lucida Grande (the default font for iMovie and Final Cut Pro's text tools, if I'm not mistaken).

But Tony, you haven't told us anything about your piece, so it's impossible to recommend a font. Impact is a great font for industrials, commercials and promos, but can be too clean and blocky for a period piece, for example. What size you set the type to also has a firm effect on the jaggies.

www.derekmok.com
August 07, 2008 01:39PM
Hi Derek,

I'm putting together a recap of a company event that took place here a month ago.
The beginning is just basic text with a black background and a music from the event. Then i'm showing about 20sec's worth of each performer 9 performers in total.

the font size is 36.

this piece is going to be exported to dvd and as probably a .mp4 and wmv for peeps to watch on our intranet.

nothing fancy going on with editing. I just want to show bits of each performance and then make separate clips later of the whole performance for people to watch if they want to.
August 07, 2008 02:13PM
[(I've been using Arial black for most bc it doesnt look jagged after export) ]

36 point is surely large enough and American Typewriter has some of the thickest serifs in the biz-- not an issue. Check and see if one of these is TrueType and one is Postscript. I believe TT fonts are working better in the native FCP tool than PS, but I've used both successfully in Boris Title 3D and I think everything works in LiveType.

Also check your font luminance in the Waveform monitor.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Play from In to Out with Shift - \ (Backslash) !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 07, 2008 02:27PM
Well.........I'm gonna try Arial Black.

Ugh!!!! and for some reason I had the DeInterlace filter on the text!!!
August 07, 2008 02:31PM
there isnt anything in theory that makes american typewriter a bad font to use... what point size were you using it at?
August 07, 2008 02:33PM
August 07, 2008 03:27PM
I've used American Typewriter at smaller sizes than that with no issues. Are you sure you have High Quality turned on in QuickTime Player? Are you watching the quality in the Canvas? Have you watched at full quality on an external monitor?

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics