Creating downloadable files for a website

Posted by shelleyrae 
Creating downloadable files for a website
August 07, 2008 01:06PM
Hi,

I need to supply several downloadable video files to my webmaster. These videos are for sale on a website and need to be downloadable so people who purchase these videos can load them into their Ipods and also burn to a DVD if desired.

I already made the Ipod files directly from FC using QT conversion. I'm told that I need to supply MPEG 2s for downloading and burning to DVD. Compressor has three options for MPEG 2 - Elementary, Program and Transport. Which one of these should I use?

Since I have several videos, I want to make sure I get the correct format before making all the files.

Thanks.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Creating downloadable files for a website
August 07, 2008 01:17PM
You may be surprised at how much information you can find on Wikipedia these days:

[en.wikipedia.org]

For DVD, what you'd want would be a Program Stream, and the video and audio would be separate files. The iPod files can be a bit sticky -- I generally take the lazy route and just use Compressor's iPod presets.

You're smart to check this out before sending your deliverables. What I'd do is send them a test -- one pair of DVD files (audio and video) and one iPod file, of one of your video shows. Let them tell you if the files meet their specs. All the files you're talking about would be relatively small unless it's a very long show. And if it is a very long show, all the more reason to test it out before wasting time encoding all of them.

www.derekmok.com
August 07, 2008 01:37PM
Thanks for the info on the MPEG 2s, Derek. I'll check out the link.

Now for the Ipod conversions -- I have already exported directly from FC using Quicktime Conversion's export for Ipod option. It opens and plays in my Itunes. But since I haven't supplied any files to the webmaster yet, I don't know how it will work on the website.

Should I use Compressor to make the Ipod conversions or will the Quicktime Conversion in FC be the same quality? I don't mind redoing them if there will be a noticeable quality difference, but if there is not a big difference then would rather not make more work for myself.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
August 07, 2008 03:26PM
I think the iPod presets are the same. Apple is very specific about that format, so it's not likely that it would be different between applications (QT Conversion is essentially the same thing as the presets available in Compressor, though less versatile).

In terms of "working on the website", aren't these for sale? You're just providing them with a file that can be bought and downloaded, so if it works on your iPod then it's good to go. These don't also have to play back in the browser window, right?

JK

August 07, 2008 03:31PM
> Should I use Compressor to make the Ipod conversions or will the Quicktime Conversion in FC be
> the same quality?

Compressor tends to do a bit better, but the real test is down to you. Same suggestion -- if you're in doubt, name the FCP-exported version "test_ipodmp4_fcpexport" and then do a version through Compressor and call it "test_ipodmp4_compressor". Watch them both and compare.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics