Problems w/G-Technology

Posted by Ken Kessie 
Problems w/G-Technology
August 12, 2008 06:32PM
What's happened to G-Technology?
I'm trying to replace a missing power supply for a G-Drive.
The power brick is out of stock on the G-Tech website.
Nobody there answers phones or e mails.
Can anybody help?
I thought I was buying a quality product.

Ken
Re: Problems w/G-Technology
August 12, 2008 07:04PM
I talked to them twice today. Hit "zero" when you hear the answer prompt. I got people right away.
August 12, 2008 07:54PM

What's happened to G-Technology?
I'm trying to replace a missing power supply for a G-Drive.
The power brick is out of stock on the G-Tech website.
Nobody there answers phones or e mails.
Can anybody help?
I thought I was buying a quality product.

Ken

Well, Ken...I used to recommend G-RAIDS like mad. I still have one. The company has been bought out by Fabrik / SimpleTech. I have no experience with their Tech Support.

[www.fabrik.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 12, 2008 08:00PM
I Just talked to their marketing guys today so they are there. Service is a tricky thing no matter what you buy.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 12, 2008 08:03PM
...not if you buy an Aja product. Best Customer Care in the biz. I wish they made storage / RAIDs. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

August 12, 2008 08:05PM
I called Aja once to get their help figuring out why I wasn't getting audio out of the unbalanced outputs on my break-out box. Turns out those outputs weren't plugged in.

The guy was nice enough to put me on mute while he and his coworkers laughed at me for five solid minutes.

Best support ever.
August 12, 2008 08:49PM
LMFAO...been there, man. Rudy has caught me more than once with my pants down and he is just supernice in his assistance. That kind of support is priceless.

August 14, 2008 10:08AM
How'd you get in....all I got was a busy signal...

Ken
August 14, 2008 11:34AM
By hitting redial. ;-) I needed to call them yesterday around prime time Pacific ? about 3 p.m. here ? and got a busy. I just called back ten minutes later.

August 14, 2008 11:43AM
You must be calling from the UK or Oz as I heard you call cameras "a piece of kit". Definitely not California-ese. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 14, 2008 12:10PM
Heh. No, I'm in DC. I just spent too much time working with Aussies. I say "piece of kit" and "on the weekend" without meaning to.

August 15, 2008 03:08AM
I sent a drive in for repair to the company that took over G-Tech about 4 weeks ago. It has not been returned.

I called about one billion times and emailed 30,000 times and eventually got hold of someone who asked for my RMA number (again). That was about 10 days ago

They said they had sent it back.

But I think they have lost it.

Perhaps in all ways.

The service at G-tech was always a bit haphazard before the takeover, but now I find the new people kind of snippy on the phone and ... hey, they either don't reply to messages or emails or .... blah blah blah (fill in usual complaint here)

The big drag is that I always thought of them as kinda high end people. But, perhaps. in retrospect, I was blinded by that beautiful aluminum case which matches the Mac. In cold facts, about half of the drives I have bought from them have given me trouble from the get-go, but I persisted with G-Tech because I could get a replacement from them quickly, due to their being local in Santa Monica.

Well, now they aren't local any more.

Harrumph.

Has anyone else anything to say about this?

Are all manufacturers just as cavalier to their customers? I guess so.

Am I but a humble pilgrim struggling alone against the mighty forces of capitalism, boo hoo?

Yes.

(weeps uncontrollably)
Harry
August 15, 2008 04:47AM
>Has anyone else anything to say about this?

In my last sweatshop (sorry, place of employment) we had 30+ FCP seats each with a 500GB G-RAID attached ... performance was rock solid, problem units was exactly 1 out of 30, and that was just a noisy fan. When I contacted G-Technology, even though I was far from local (being in Hong Kong) they couldn't do enough to help. The experience was altogether very satisfactory and I've been happy to use and recommend G-Technology ever since ... that said, this must be about 3 or 4 years ago, back when G-RAID's were one of the best games in town. Could be that with the decline in popularity and the change of corporate ownership the product and support have suffered.
August 15, 2008 09:59PM
I have two G-Raids and they both have noisy fans. The units have performed flawlessly but the fans worry me. Since the units are past warranty I wonder if I could open the units myself and install better fans. I am sure it would cost a lot to have the new owner's service department do it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics