CRAZY OT - apple and stereo mini-plugs

Posted by wayne granzin 
CRAZY OT - apple and stereo mini-plugs
August 13, 2008 07:46PM
why is it that apple is so hell-bent on making ALL their products so unfriendly with garden variety mini-plugs?

i was just at a clients party this evening and could have saved the day because their ipod battery died and the party music was no more. i whipped out my trusty iphone, full of fun party music and sadly, their mini-plug wouldnt fit...

from my old quadra days and now even my iphone, they recess their mini-plug jacks such that typical garden-variety, off-the-shelf, radio shack (and others) cables dont fit. hell, even the vinyl on my apple branded earbud/microphone is getting peeled back after only about 4 months use! i remember back in the mid 1990's i had to take a utility knife and strip back the rubber on most mini-cables, even once had to take a hand grinder to a metal collar.

GRRRR!
Re: CRAZY OT - apple and stereo mini-plugs
August 13, 2008 07:50PM
The recessed 1/8" jack on the iPhone has gone the way of the dodo. Currently shipping iPhones have flush jacks.

The original jack was recessed as a form of strain relief. If the phone has a flush jack and you've got it in the pocket of a pair of jeans with the headphones in, when you sit down stress on the plug in the jack can cause wear and tear on your headphones, and eventually failure. The jack was recessed in order to minimize this, by putting the stress on the molded part of the plug rather than on the joint where the business-end meets the molded part.

I guess the inconvenience of not being able to use any old plug outweighed what was actually a very sensible feature.

August 13, 2008 07:57PM
WOW, that dodo sure had a short lifespan...
okay, and the logic for doing that on the back of a tower was...?

poor - POOR design logic. yet apple never has been on the forefront of UID. hell they STILL havent made a mouse that was worth a crap since the apple ll days!
August 13, 2008 08:00PM
Them's fightin' words.

Signed,
a Mighty Mouse loyalist

August 13, 2008 08:30PM
uhmm... ok.
August 14, 2008 01:04AM
Yup.

BDD--Brain Dead Design!

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Play from In to Out with Shift - \ (Backslash) !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 14, 2008 08:19AM
I got a mini adapter when I purchased my iPhone.

Tiny, simple piece of plastic and metal.

$20.

Not brain dead at all. Just milkin' your customers.
August 14, 2008 10:42AM
OK, no secrete here, I'm not a big Apple fan, but I have grown to love my Mighty Mouse...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics