mac wont recognize blank dvd-r

Posted by LukeWarm13 
mac wont recognize blank dvd-r
August 15, 2008 03:34PM
Hey guys. Seems like its something different every day.

I'm trying to burn a dvd but my g5 wont recognize the blank DVD-r. I've tried several different discs. They are verbatim and are the ink jet printable.

It seems to recognize other types of discs fine. cd-r and other dvd-r. Just not this type. The wierd part is that I just burned a verbatim dvd-r yesterday and it worked fine. Why the change now? thanks for any suggestions.
Re: mac wont recognize blank dvd-r
August 15, 2008 03:40PM
Verbatims are one of the worst brands. Try a Sony or Fuji.

One more thing: Are you using iDVD? iDVD used to have a bug where the more times you burn from the same project, the higher the failure rate, and eventually the burn would just get stuck around 17 or 21 per cent and never progress. In those cases, you had to get rid of the iDVD project file (with the associated encoded files) and create a fresh one. Not having used iDVD for years, I don't know if that bug still exists.

www.derekmok.com
August 15, 2008 09:36PM
[Verbatims are one of the worst brands. ]

Once again, off the mark, by a mile! Verbatim has always been considered one of the most rleiable brands with good dyes!

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Play from In to Out with Shift - \ (Backslash) !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 15, 2008 09:50PM
> Once again, off the mark, by a mile!

I'll have to disagree, Loren. I've even had a higher success rate with Maxells and Hewlett-Packards than with Verbatim. A director gave me a 25-disc spindle of Verbatim discs to make video DVDs from. Three failed ones later, I switched back to my Sonys and had no problems. My touchy DVD burner even had problems with Riteks, but not Sonys and Fujis. Exact same DVD Studio Pro project file, exact same drive -- Fujis and Sonys are fine, Riteks and Verbatims are not. So what conclusion would I draw?

Even the sites that do rank Verbatim highly admit that it depends on which Verbatims you buy:

[www.cdr-zone.com]

The site in our FAQ ranks Verbatims as "Excellent", but frankly, I haven't seen those "excellent" discs yet.

[www.digitalfaq.com]

The site also mentioned decline in Verbatim quality in 2002. If I do encounter good ones, I'll modify my views. I'll admit that I may be in the minority with the Verbatim issues, but I can only make recommendations based on personal experience. I'm not going to recommend a brand just because other people say it's good, if my experience with it falls short.

Do me a favour and stop resorting to personal attacks when we talk brands. There's no absolute right or wrong here.

www.derekmok.com
August 15, 2008 10:34PM
The Taiyo Yuden disks are really top quality although more expensive. You can Google for reviews and check it out.

Their disks with the Watershield inkjet printable surface produce a really professional looking product with the right inkjet printer and graphic layout software.

Here is a link to one retailer for price reference and further info

[www.meritline.com]

Not shilling for Meritline, they just happen to be close to me in Los Angeles so I buy from them.
August 16, 2008 12:46AM
[The site also mentioned decline in Verbatim quality in 2002. If I do encounter good ones, I'll modify my views.]

Fair enough. Here's some fill-in for you. Age counts too, even among the best. If the silver discs sit around unused the dyes deteriorate. Errors increase. Get 'em fresh off the boat from China.

BTW Gold discs are archival quality and most reliable of all.

Play from In to Out with Shift - \ (Backslash) !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 16, 2008 02:27PM
the dvd's are fairly new. No older than a month and they work fine in other computers and duplicators. Just not this computer.
bj
August 16, 2008 05:30PM
I had an issue with my G4 powerbook. I had not burned a dvd in a few month and when i tried it it did not work. DVD's played, and cd's recorded.
I reinstalled my OS and its back working.
Just a thought.
Bj
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics