Dealing with extreme Reds and Blues

Posted by J.Corbett 
Dealing with extreme Reds and Blues
August 16, 2008 12:19AM
it seems very hard to get a clean red or blue on to nearly any screen ( especially black bg ). Those color bleed like a crime scene even within range.

Is there a way of handling it? or some type of rule that applies.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: Dealing with extreme Reds and Blues
August 16, 2008 07:47AM
Yes, use NTSC SAFE colors. Much like there are web safe colors, so are there video broadcast safe colors.

You really need to use video color monitors or at least the scopes in FCP to view the saturation and chrominance levels to see if they are within broadcast standards.

I see many independent videos today that blow right past legal colors and the video look tells me the people do not understand what bright reds and blues do to video.
August 16, 2008 08:38AM
What John says is part of it. An important part, don't get me wrong. But there's something else at work that you just can't escape no matter what you do: chroma subsampling. Saturated areas of solid color against black will always look jaggy or bleedy because there's less chroma resolution in your picture than luma resolution. How much less depends on your format, but DV is arguably the worst offender of all in this regard.

August 16, 2008 12:28PM
Yes, what Jeff says is indesputable. That is why more of these less than 4:2:2 color space formats are quaranteed to produce color issues as there are not enough pixels per frame to make an outstanding picture.

Soap Box ON - Sony has really done a diis-service to the video community going with that lousy 4:2:0 MPEG-2 as a recording format. it's so prolific now, I don't think anyone will ever go back to reality.
Soap Box OFF-
August 16, 2008 12:30PM
Both stink for areas of high chroma contrast ? no bold red titles on a black screen, please ? but 4:2:0 is superior to 4:1:1 for pure horizontal chrominance resolution. Vertically not so much, but horizontal chroma jaggies are more noticeable to me personally.

It all went to hell with DV.

August 16, 2008 01:01PM
wow, i figure that it was something in my format (dv on dvx100b) that was doing it. i can be safe in rgb parade and still see the bleed. I am leaving DV in the 1st quarter of the year because of these issues. Even caught myself considering the consumer 720p hd cams from panasonic.

i have always had to double or triple track my blue and red tittles on black. Then tweak the gaus and flicker and hls. i even have used color to try and handle it. Sometime its good and sometimes just good enough.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
August 17, 2008 12:07PM
Well, it's kind of like the doctor says, y'know? If it hurts, don't do that. Television is an imperfect medium, and an important part of working with it is understanding what you just don't ever do. You don't ever dress the talent in houndstooth or pinstripes, you don't ever shoot a 60 Hz monitor with a 24 fps camera, and you don't ever do red titles on a black screen.

August 17, 2008 12:34PM
yep , i guess you are rite my friend says even in hd its a toughie.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics