selective Log and Transfer of MXF files

Posted by matylda 
selective Log and Transfer of MXF files
August 16, 2008 12:42PM
Hi,

Is there any way you can get 'Log and Transfer' to pick out selected cuts from the source media (from and EDL or XML perhaps)?

I have to edit a short music video from 400GB MXF files, which the client has given to me on an external harddrive (which is now full). If I would transfer them into FCP they take up the same amount of space on my HD, space I don't have.

To be able to handle all the media at once I have gradually 'Log and Transfered' and recompressed the MXF files into smaller clip-sizes. Then I've edited my sequences.

What I want to do now is to relink only my sequences directly from the original MXF files to their full resolutions so I can output them in their full glory.

Many thanks
Matylda
Re: selective Log and Transfer of MXF files
August 16, 2008 05:57PM
Maybe it's to late, but have a look at mxf4mac. It will give you direct access to the MXF file.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
August 16, 2008 11:11PM
You can only reconnect the sequence to files that you LOG AND TRANSFER at full resolution. YOu mean you imported, recompressed, then DISCARDED the initial imports? Seems silly. Hard drives are crazy cheap. You can also look at RAYLIGHT for direct MXF reading...and HD Log.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 16, 2008 11:26PM
MXF is just a wrapper ... how easily you can achieve what you're after, if at all, depends in large part on what's inside those MXF's

if its DVCPROHD from a P2 for example, then you could maybe look at Raylight or mxf4mac
if its XDCAM EX or XDCAM HD then you should be looking at Sony's free Clip Browser and/or XDCAM Transfer software
if its XDCAM IMX and or any of the other wealth of possible formats then again you might want to check out mxf4mac
August 17, 2008 07:18AM
Thanks for the advice, very helpful.

The direct MXF reading software seems useful, although expensive. Might look into another harddrive.
Shame there isn't a "import EDL" function or similiar in Log and Transfer.

Thanks again!
August 17, 2008 07:42AM
Another option in case it's Pana P2 and the video codec is DV or DV50:
Open the P2 MXF container and change the extension of the video file from mxf to dv.
They will show up as normal QT files.

Andreas

[www.spherico.com]
August 17, 2008 07:58AM
I've heard of that as well, tried it earlier, and although they are P2 they are HDV and that solution doesn't work unfortunately. Thanks though.
August 17, 2008 08:20AM
HDV off Panasonic P2 based equipment??? I didn't know they had any camera that shot HDV to P2 ... are you sure it isn't DVCPRO HD?
August 17, 2008 08:24AM
Yes, yes, DVCPRO HD. Looks just "smashing"!
Doesn't really help me now. winking smiley
August 17, 2008 08:30AM
well [www.calibratedsoftware.com] is only USD 60
but [mxf4mac.com] is a bit spendy at EURO399 (about USD 590)
and [dvfilm.com] falls in the middle at USD 195

none of its free though so don't know if that helps either
August 17, 2008 10:02AM
I've seen MXF4QT Import in action and its quite good and easy to use but yeah, a bit pricy. Come to our SuperMeet in Amsterdam as we are giving away 5 copies

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 17, 2008 11:04AM
Mike
I've seen MXF4QT Import in action and its quite good and easy to use but yeah, a bit pricy
I've seen it action too because I bought it. And I think it's not "a bit pricy" - but that always depends on the point of view or the needs to be compared to project you are working on.

The nice thing is that you don't have to copy your media the FCP way or any other way.

When working with MXF and external sound -- which is a tedious work within FCP when you want to go the safe way, as FCP doesn't like file audio to be replaced by external audio -- mxf4mac is a big helper.
Definitively in "Log and Transfer" you can check the box for each clip not to import audio - and Nick for sure can write something to make that work with QuickKeys - but it's still time consuming and doubles the data.
With a good media management and mxf4mac you even can create referenced clips for multiclip usage which are in sync and don't have any overlaps - just which the cost of few k disk usage.
For us (means for me and my customer) mxf4mac paid itself after half a day of usage when working with external sound.

Anyway it makes backup strategies easier - you can always re-connect to your MXF instead of a QT copy ofyour MXF.

But many projects might not require this kind/ease of use.
my 2cents

Andreas

[www.spherico.com]
August 17, 2008 11:08AM
Good points Andreas. Maybe its not to pricey afterall.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics