FCP2 and Motion -UGH - Neither will Open

Posted by nat* 
FCP2 and Motion -UGH - Neither will Open
August 19, 2008 09:25AM
I have no idea what caused this - but FCP crashes upon opening (get the 'unexpected error') and when I try to launch Motion - nothing. The rest of the suite seems to be fine...they all launch and are playing nicely. I am running QT 7.5 - as i have been - that seems to be fine too.

So far - I have done:

I've trashed preferences...
I had recently installed Sapphire PlugIns - they seemed to be working fine - however, in all this trouble shooting I have removed them
I had recently installed Shake 4 - it also was working fine, however, this too I have uninstalled

I have uninstalled the entire suite and reinstalled - putting me back at 6.0 when I had been running 6.0.3 - and still nothing
I even went to the extent of doing a hardware test - but nothing there, as to be expected

I am kind of lost as to where to go next - and suggestions are appreciated.

running a 2x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
on OSX 10.4.11
Re: FCP2 and Motion -UGH - Neither will Open
August 19, 2008 10:26AM
Well, concerning computers - If the same system has been operating well and then it stops - without any major changes - then harken back to the very last thing that you did. Did you update anything, or install anything?

You mentioned that you installed Shake 4.1 Did you reinstall MacOS 10.4? Did you then update it to 10.4.11? Did you run Disk Utilities> Check/Repair Permissions after that?

If you did not reinstall MacOS X, then - did you remove every vestage of the Pro Apps (there is not an uninstall script from Apple) but there is a small freeware tool caled FCS-remover that will do a very good cleanup.
August 19, 2008 11:31AM
Generally removing receipts and re-installing FCP will solve this

Read this

[support.apple.com]

and this

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 19, 2008 11:35AM
I did remove receipts and reinstall - twice.

I did use the FCS remover software - twice - before each reinstall

I did not reinstall 10.4.11 - that has remained the same
August 19, 2008 11:40AM
Corrupted media?

[edu.moviola.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 19, 2008 11:44AM
all my media lives on an Xsan - and it does not matter how I try to open Final Cut -whether it be via a project or through the application -
is there "other media" I am not thinking of?

Also, Motion does not do anything - doesn't even "try to open" - it acts as if it does not exist - ya know?

I am currently uninstalling and reinstalling one more time...UGH!
August 19, 2008 11:51AM
One last option that is often not understood is trying to log into a new user. If the User setting is complicating software opening, try creating a new user and login into that one. see if things are different there.
Ultimately, if it's a user problem it is best to start over with an archive and install of 10.4. and update to 10.4. 11.

If all else fails, format your hard drive, write zeros to it and start over by reinstallin all the apps. BTW: just initializing the drive will not erase old data. Old data on a volume CAN be read by the operating system causing various wierd problems. (My experience)
August 19, 2008 12:23PM
OK - so I logged into as other users - the accounts are already created - and it did not work - should I actually create a new user??

I did run the disk utilities - still nothing.

Are you recommending wiping my hard drive completely and starting over from scratch?? (a tear falls...)
August 19, 2008 12:48PM
If new user worked than that usually means something was wrong with the OS as it relates to FCP/Motion. If it works now just smile and move on. No need to reinstall OS unless everything is nuts.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 19, 2008 12:48PM
Is there a way to Uninstall MOTION ONLY??

wonder if that would give me different results...
August 19, 2008 12:49PM
It did not work - it does not matter who the user is....
August 19, 2008 01:05PM
Oh. Read that wrong. To uninstall Motion read this

[support.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 19, 2008 01:18PM
I am uninstalling the entire suite again - and then I am going to reinstall all BUT motion - just to spend some more time waiting...hahahah! I'm losing it-
No seriously, I'll let ya know if this does anything - well, besides the obvious.
August 19, 2008 01:24PM
It's my opinion as a long time user of Pro Apps, then you are fighting an uphill battle and the best way to recover is to start from "scratch".

If you do decide to initailize the drive and stat over, don't forget to zero out the data on the drive.

Best of Luck
August 19, 2008 02:39PM
So - I uninstalled the ENTIRE suite and reinstalled everything BUT MOTION - and everything seems to be fine!
ARGH!
It appears that MOTION is the bad guy! Any insight on this??
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics