Graphic Stretched Mystery - please offer suggestions

Posted by Andy Field 
Graphic Stretched Mystery - please offer suggestions
August 19, 2008 12:10PM
Graphic Problem ? appreciate advice

I?m trying to get a circular logo to remain a circle in FCP

I?ve done what I thought I should do (take the original graphic ? place it on a 720 by 540 Photoshop page ? then with CONSTRAIN PROPORTIONS UNCHECKED (it?s off) Change the aspect ratio of that photoshop file to 720 by 480 and bring into FinalCut to make up for the pixel difference

It looks fine in in Canvas (which has CORRECT FOR ASPECT RATIO) checked) (see below)

My timeline settings are
DV NTSC (4:3) Pixel Aspect Ratio NTSC CCIR 601 ANAMORPHIC (off)

Yet when I export to a QuickTime movie ? the logo now looks stretched (see below)

How can I get this to remain a circle ? it?s driving me and the client batty

(The above method has worked with other graphics ? not sure what I?m missing here ? Thanks Andy
Re: Graphic Stretched Mystery - please offer suggestions
August 19, 2008 12:20PM
You're watching the QuickTime movie on the computer monitor, right? That means you're watching in square pixels. Your logo should look fine on an external NTSC monitor. If you want to prep the movie file for viewing on computer screens, you'll need to export the movie file as 640x480.

www.derekmok.com
August 19, 2008 01:33PM
You are doing the right thing in Photoshop to make it look round in video. I see the format size has changed when output in Quicktime.

It looks as if the logo is ovaled by the format outputted? Is the monitor changing the attributes of the image automatically as in a 4:3 image being sized for a 16:9 format?
August 19, 2008 01:50PM
Derek - I think you've solved it - I'll try that - you're right - I hadn't checked output on monitor yet - just making comps for clients and save color correct on monitor for last - I'll try the 640 x 480 - thanks
August 19, 2008 10:53PM
And there's some prefs in QT CMD-COMMA and CMD-J .

I actually find the newest QTPro doesn't handle CMD-J and CMD-COMMA aspect ratio choices correctly as prev vers.

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics