One clip keeps crashing FCP... options?

Posted by jwilliam 
One clip keeps crashing FCP... options?
August 20, 2008 04:40PM
I think I have a corrupted media file, because every time I try to play it back, Final Cut abruptly closes.

I'm running FCP 6.0.4, MAC OS X 10.4.11, on a Mac Pro that is usually trouble free. There's a lot of other media in the project that works fine, so at the moment, I'm pretty convinced that it's just a local problem with this clip.

I don't have a source tape on this clip, so re-digitizing isn't an option. It's a SCQT that seems to play back just fine in quicktime iteself.

Is there anything else that can be done? Run it through compressor? Or media manage it? Since this is the first truly damaged clip I've had to work with, is there any danger of the corrupt file de-stabilizing my project or anything else funky like that?

Jeff
Re: One clip keeps crashing FCP... options?
August 20, 2008 05:58PM
Follow-up post - I ran the trouble clip through compressor, and made it an 8 bit uncompressed quicktime, and now things seem to play fine, though I have to render every clip I put into my timeline.

Any thoughts?
Re: One clip keeps crashing FCP... options?
August 20, 2008 06:09PM
A corrupt clip can certainly cause crashes. What I'd generally try in order is:

1. Disconnect the clip (SHIFT-D, Leave Files on Disk), then reconnect it;
2. Resave the clip by opening it and saving to a new name in QuickTime Player;
3. Copy the clip to a new drive location and then reconnect to the new location;
4. Re-export the clip using the same codec the clip was in.

Additional note: If your clips didn't come from a tape, you should have backed them up before you started editing, and if/when problems happen where you suspect corrupted media, the first thing to do would have been to re-copy that clip back from the backup drive.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics