up-res project

Posted by newptfot 
up-res project
August 20, 2008 06:16PM
A rookie here FCP 2 6.0.3 . I'm trying to get a project converted to show at a theater the post production house is asking me to up-res to 2k uncompressed. They say the project should fit in a container size of 2040 x 1080. The project on the timeline is a mix of mini dv, stills, vhs transfer and digitized 16mm. My sequence settings are NTSC CCIR 601-dv, I hope this all makes sense. The project is a documentary 24 minutes long. Any help would be appreciated.

Rick
Re: up-res project
August 20, 2008 07:19PM
This is information given me by Technicolor Digital Cinema...can I accomplish this in FCP 6.0.3 Mac OSX, 10.4.11 Dual 2.7 GHZ Power PC 3.5 GB Ram.

"As per our phone conversation, it would be advised to uprez to fit into a 2048x1080 container so you control how the uprez will look. NO compression on the file, and make sure to embed the audio in sync with the picture."
August 20, 2008 10:29PM
"the post production house is asking me to up-res to 2k uncompressed"

isn't this their job?
what are you asking them to do?

what was the 16mm telecined to?
my bet is Standard Def.

so the whole film will need a pretty good up-res,
and FCP is NOT the place to do that.

the FCP timeline can be set to a better upscale in the sequnce settings, video processing tab,
but there are better solutions.

based on what ive read the qualty ladder goes something like this:

- FCP timeline.
- plug-in used in FCP
- alternative software up-res
- hardware up-res

what would be ideal is if you could up-res the video
then re-combine with the stills, which may be a decent size.
then add all your graphics.

really the post house should be talking to you about this.

nick
August 20, 2008 11:32PM
Thank you Nick I agree with your train of thought and will talk tomorrow with the post house, Technicolor Digital Cinema in Burbank. It all started by the Academy asking for J-peg 2000 then the post house started firing all the questions about timeline, text, audio etc. way over my head but I'm learning fast.

Rick
August 20, 2008 11:59PM
oh, there was a recent thread about how STILL images don't have their motion effects scaled up when placed in a larger sequence.

so you may need to re-work those.

i wrote up some tips in that thread for re-working with keyframed stills (but ignore what i wrote about nesting, i was on the wrong track there)
[www.lafcpug.org]

cheers,
nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics