"This Operation Could Not Be Completed As There Is No Video"

Posted by bashea 
"This Operation Could Not Be Completed As There Is No Video"
August 25, 2008 07:59PM
I'm trying to batch capture a project, with a provided project file (.fcp), but it just ain't happening, and I can't figure out why, and working solely with DVD-provided material for the past year isn't helping.

The material is on MiniDV, and I'm using a Canon ZR-100 camera firewired to my G5 with FCP 6.0.4. I just keep getting "This operation could not be completed as there is no video". I even tried rolling the camera and using Capture/Now, but get the same error message.

Also, there's "Preview Disabled" in the Log & Capture" window (if that's a clue).

I've checked the Audio/Video settings and they seem to be OK - Capture Preset: DV NTSC 48 kHz, Device Control Preset: FireWire NTSC, Video Playback: Apple FireWire NTSC (720x480).

I can play/rewind/fast forward the camera with the VTR controls in the Log & Capture window, the ZR-100 is showing in System Profiler>Hardware>Firewire, and I can hear the camera running as FCP tries to cue the footage up.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Of course, this is a good paying gig with a deadline...
Re: "This Operation Could Not Be Completed As There Is No Video"
August 25, 2008 11:25PM
Try the 'Firewire basic' or 'generic capture' setting. Canons are notorious for capture problems.

August 26, 2008 12:22AM
I've been dealing with this issue off and on fora couple of years, it started with FCP 5.0 as I recall. I capture from a JVC deck, so it'd not just a Canon thing.

I think it has more to do with FCP/OSX interaction than anything strictly within FCP.

My work-around is to disconnect/reconnect the FireWire cable at the deck. This "jump-starts" FCP's recognition and I can capture without problems (at least for a while...)

Hope this helps.
August 26, 2008 07:56AM
I used to have a Canon XM1 (GL1 to some people) that would fairly often refuse to play ball during capture.

I found that when it was not cooperating the only way to capture from it was to disconnect any other firewire peripherals from the Mac -and capture to the system drive (or another internal drive if you have one).

Perhaps you could try the same thing, reset the capture scratch to the system drive, capture your footage, disconnect the camera and reconnect your external drive. Then copy the footage to your usual capture scratch location on the external drive.

As an aside, I had this problem on a MacBookPro and while pressing Option+F12 to Refresh External Video, quite often I would be treated to my frustrated face staring back at me in the capture window (from the built-in iSight camera)!!!!

James
August 26, 2008 11:02AM
Canons require you use FW Basic as your capture protocol. Trash preferences and then reset capture settings and try again.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 26, 2008 02:28PM
1 - Are you sure about the format of your MiniDV ? Can you see some images at all in the display of the camera when you playback a tape in it ?

2 - When you open the Log&Capture window you say that you can control the camera (Play,FFW,RW) but there is a black image in the window, no image display at all...is that right ?

3 - When you open FCP to digitize your tapes is the camera already powered on ?

I would shut the MAC off but let the camera powered on. Than restart the MAC, open FCP, Refresh A/V external device than open the Log&Capture window. Thats the way i was able to capture my HDV footage the other night since i had exactly the same problem as you.
August 26, 2008 07:20PM
Can you see some images at all in the display of the camera when you playback a tape in it ?

YES.

When you open the Log & Capture window you say that you can control the camera (Play,FFW,RW) but there is a black image in the window, no image display at all...is that right ?

ALL I SEE IS COLOR BARS AND "PREVIEW DISABLED"

When you open FCP to digitize your tapes is the camera already powered on ?

I'VE TRIED IT BOTH WAYS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have now tried starting FCP with the camera on and off, refreshing A/V devices, using "Firewire Basic" and "Generic Capture Template" capture settings, cleaning the camera's tape head, trashing my preferences, and even Capture Now, but it's still: "The operation could not be completed as there is no video".

And here's the weirdest thing: I can se the FCP canvas image in the viewfinder of the camera!

Man, what is going on? I'm about to lose an editing job!
August 26, 2008 08:16PM
Do you have an other firewire cable...if so try a new cable...
Do you have an other camera that could playback your MiniDV...if so try a new camera...

Are you sure the settings in the menu Camera are good.
Check the Output from camera.
August 26, 2008 09:42PM
>>And here's the weirdest thing: I can se the FCP canvas image in the viewfinder of the camera!
<<

OK. That's decidedly odd. Have you trashed the preferences? If nothing else it will get you back to factory settings. Here's how : How Do I Trash My Preferences?

August 26, 2008 11:34PM
You haven't mentioned whether you've tried what I suggested...

Are you capturing to an external FW drive?

If so, please try restarting with only the cam connected to the Mac and capture to the system drive.

(If not then sorry for reiterating.. only trying to help)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics