Gradient (non-radial) focus plug in for Final Cut Pro?

Posted by Bradley Kents 
Gradient (non-radial) focus plug in for Final Cut Pro?
August 27, 2008 01:22PM
Hello FCPers,

I'm looking for a plug-in/filter for FCP that will mimic the gradient focus you would get from a shift-tilt lens. That is, one that would allow me to put, say, the left side of the screen out of focus then smoothly end up in focus where my subject is on the right side of the screen. And we hopefully would be able to control the amount of blur and the distance over which the gradient focus happens, of course.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brad
Re: Gradient (non-radial) focus plug in for Final Cut Pro?
August 27, 2008 08:13PM
Magic Bullet Looks has a tool that does a wonderful job of this.

[www.redgiantsoftware.com]

-Vance
August 27, 2008 08:53PM
You could also do it in Motion or Color, if you didn't want to buy anything.

August 27, 2008 09:38PM
Actually, I wonder if you could do this with the standard FCP set. Try this

1. Double up the clip on itself by selecting it with one click, holding option and shift and dragging up one layer.
2. Add gaussian blur to suit to the top layer
3. Add a four point garbage matte to the top layer. Adjust the position of 2 and 3 to be half the screen (or wherever you want the blur edge to be)
4. Feather the matte to reveal the clean picture underneath.

I just tried this and it worked pretty well, but in the end I added a second copy underneath the first copy which had choked but not feathered edges to clean up the left hand side of the picture.

Here is a screenshot of the gradiation from blurred to clean.

August 27, 2008 10:00PM
nice, Jude!
for a all-in-one solution Joe's filters has Soft gradient, and soft-spot filters.

[www.joesfilters.com]

nick
August 27, 2008 10:18PM
I think Bradley is looking for a focus plugin driven by a depth map gradient that you could hand create. I am not absolutely sure but I think there is a Foundy Tinderbox plug that will do that although it would have to be applied in Shake or After Effects. Tinderbox 2 has something called "T_BlurMasked" that you could look at. The same package contains "T_LensBlur" which does a great job simulating what real defocuses look like instead of just blur filters. Perhaps the two filters can be combined.

[www.thefoundry.co.uk]

Just some options.
August 27, 2008 11:35PM
Thanks ... looks like I have a few ideas to kick around and some software to look it!

Appreciate the time for the great answers ...

Bradley
August 27, 2008 11:55PM
Hello Vance,

Thanks for the idea. Red Giant seems to have quite of few offerings. Any idea which package I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Bradley
August 28, 2008 10:36AM
The shift/tilt tool is part of the "Looks" suite. I don't see any specific reference to that feature on their web page, however. The Looks package is used as a plugin in FCP. When you click on the editor icon in the viewer it launches a complete UI overtop of Final Cut. It is a pretty extensive package, you will need to view a tutorial to follow how it works.

-V
August 28, 2008 04:02PM
OK -- thanks, Vance. Appreciate it.
Bradley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics