cineon converter_filter

Posted by John Anderson 
cineon converter_filter
August 31, 2008 05:29PM
Hi,
I always turn to this forum for certain questions.
I am completing an animation project and would like some feedback regarding my use of the cineon converter in After Effects.
My work flow is to create drawings/paintings in photoshop which go to Flash. I animate in Flash and export sections to After Effects where I I can manipulate the animation further. I discovered the the "cineon converter" when I was looking to strengthen the colors and contrast in my final projects.There were no problems editing in FCP and they seem to encode just fine in DVD pro. Am I looking for trouble using the "cineon converter". I read some of the technical info surrounding this filter and decided it was over my head (at this point).
I have a Power Mac G5 and FCP 4.5.
As Always.Thanks!
Jandy48
Re: cineon converter_filter
August 31, 2008 05:57PM
That's wacky. The Cineon converter effect in After Effects converts Cineon's 10-bit color into either 8-bit (by crushing) or 16-bit (by expanding). I'm surprised it has any effect at all on the 8-bit footage you're bringing in. At best, it probably just done a simple lift/gain/gamma adjustment, which you can do better and more easily using standard color-correction controls.

Even if you want to use this effect, though, it won't have any impact on your workflow. Footage that comes out of After Effects is rendered down to whatever file format and bit depth you choose.

Re: cineon converter_filter
September 01, 2008 10:28AM
Hey Jeff,
I'll run it through the "standard color corrections" in AE and compare.
Thanks for the info.
Jandy48
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics